The Actual Me | Teen Ink

The Actual Me

By TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia
TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

"I wish I could be a little less dramatic, like a Kennedy when Camelot went down in Flames." -Miranda Lambert

I’ve made mistakes,
But it’ll be okay.
Cause it’s not just me,
We’ve all got them.

No longer will I
Be ashamed for being me.
It’s all behind me now.

The walls I’ve built
Can topple over.
The lies I’ve told
Can wash away.

I don’t want to be fake
Or try to fit in.
I want the actual me
To be what people see.

The sorrow and shame
I’ve felt for who I am
Don’t define me,
Not anymore.

I wrote this poem because of real life experiences I've had in the past. I wrote it so that I could take a stand and say that I can't be anything but myself.

on Nov. 3 2013 at 1:34 am
TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

Yeah, this is one of my poems that is more driven by the emotional state I was in. After your comments I'll definitely look at it and try to edit it more to fit what standards I want my poems to be up to.

on Nov. 2 2013 at 10:34 am
StarlitSunrise DIAMOND, Clemmons, North Carolina

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." ~Camille Pissarro

I like the overall meaning of this, but (especially after reading your other work) I feel like it could have been executed better. To me, this reads like something that was written in a bit of a haste, probably because you were very emotional at the time. I think it's a great rough draft, but a little bit of editing could help it come across even better to the reader. Mainly, I would recommend looking at it from a more stylistic perspective. Good work though. :) Keep writing!

TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

Thanks for the critique! I'll have to think about everything youve said. :)

on Sep. 1 2013 at 9:48 am
Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

I like the idea, for sure, and it was very well thought out, I can tell.....I just thought there might be something missing. But that's my opinion, and the poem is still lovely. It just doesn't seem to have the right flow/rhythm to it, but maybe that's just cuz I like more stylized poems. Great job, keep it up :)

on Aug. 31 2013 at 12:11 am
TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

Mckay, I'm glad you were moved by my poem. Thanks!!!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I LOVE IT! It's about time people start standing up for themselves and be proud of who they really are. I don't want to live anymore in a world where we fear of being who we are. This is genuine and relatable. I know many people right now want to stand up for themselves and be proud of who they are. It's time. 

TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

Also, thanks for calling it inspirational. That one word means a lot when descrbing my work. I aim to try and give a message and help people learn from my mistakes. :)

TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

I'll really take that into consideration next time I edit it. I do understand what you mean by that. The amount in there can be a little much. I just haven't figured out how to do it with a little less, haha. Thanks!

Netnel GOLD said...
Netnel GOLD, Fair Lawn, New Jersey

Everything that is done in the world is done by hope.

It is a nice poem bringing out honesty and truly accepting oneself. In one word it was inspirational. Simply to make the message universal I digger taking out one or two "I"s or "me"s but it is still very nice