Burnt Anger | Teen Ink

Burnt Anger

By Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

i think she thinks we are still friends

But i can feel the hate oozing like vanilla ice cream, dripping from her parted lips

i can see right through her,
as one sees through a clear plastic tupperware

She is all tucked up and placed in a cold, rigid fridge.

Her thoughts leftovers of mine.

Always hungry for a new scene,
but still scarfs down goodies from the old ones.

She chokes inwardly on the bile in her throat.

Bile that rises like bread, in an oven of anger, every time her eyes meet mine

All her secrets packaged and on a truck to nowhere

All her hopes saran wrapped and sugar coated

so tight

that not even a butchers knife can penetrate them

She is a wall of unbreakable ice
that no matter how hot i turn up the flame

she never melts.

You know when someone you care about doesn't trust you. And it kills. This is for a "best friend" who i know doesn't trust me. And sometimes they think I'm the mean one. This ones for you. ;)

on Jun. 7 2013 at 11:13 pm
SincerelyManon GOLD, Holyoke, Massachusetts

Memories are the only things that don't change when everything else does.

Wow. This poem just blows my mind. It's so relatable and easy to read. It flows with an edge and I absolutely love it!

on May. 30 2013 at 8:54 pm
hewsonjew BRONZE, WALNUT, California
Good Job! I like the symbolism here. But, I think you need to emphasize more on the similarities between ice cream and your anger. Other than that, great piece!

on May. 21 2013 at 9:43 pm
Metalhead08 GOLD, Port Republic, Maryland

"I'd rather hate you for everything you are. Than ever love you for something you are not. " FFDP "You're born alone and you die alone" FFDP "I wonder out where you can't see, inside my shell I wait and bleed." Slipknot " If youre 555 then I am 666"

Wow! Wonderful imagery! Great flow! Just wow, amazing job! I can defiantly relate to this poem...

on May. 4 2013 at 6:31 pm
Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Wow. Rocking the imagery here! I can almost feel the searing anger here. Beautifully written!

on May. 4 2013 at 5:08 pm
Sam_Dawn_Richi SILVER, Augusta, Georgia

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning dance in the rain." -anonymus

Nice! great similies.  Turned out very well. :)

on May. 3 2013 at 2:57 pm
Wings10FeetTall GOLD, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

Nobody's going to wait for you, so do it now.
-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

I think that vanilla ice cream was loved because it's good while cold, but nasty when hot, sort of like a friendship that wanes. Great poem!

on May. 3 2013 at 8:34 am
Dancer26 SILVER, Concord, North Carolina

"Beauty is in the heart of the beholder."
- Al Bernstein

"Beauty itself is but the sensible image of the infinite."
-George Bancroft

Wow, amazing similies. I loved how you wrote this and the title could not have been any better. I will be checking out your work more often. I hope you can do the same for me. All in all outstanding write!

on May. 2 2013 at 10:04 pm
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Liv, you are not tricking me! You say you don't like to cook, but I see all these kitchen utensil refrences. By the way, Taco Bell is waiting for you... the best part is... you don't have to cook! But, seriously, I liked the title. It really ties in with your concept in this poem. Your similies and metaphors are spectacular! I love those, I always pick through them until they can't be picked anymore and I just love those things.. writing them is even better. I am such an English nerd. I feel the hate in your poem.. the first line, BAM. She 'THINKS' we are stil friends.. whoa. I knew I was going to like this poem. It was sad to read, but your comment sure did ease the mood. How spicy!

Mckay ELITE said...
on May. 2 2013 at 2:07 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Lots of good similes. I could feel the hate oozing throughout the poem. I will say that vanilla ice cream is nice; I don't know if I could give the connotation that it is mean. I dunno that's just me... But I do like it. It's very relatable. I bet we've all had that friend...No frenemy. That's the right word. We're friends one day; the next, we're enemies. Our Facebook status would say: "It's complicated." Great poem. And the end is sad. Chilling but sad. Hope everything works out with your friend.