I'm From My Past | Teen Ink

I'm From My Past

April 4, 2013
By MillieKae GOLD, McCook, Nebraska
MillieKae GOLD, McCook, Nebraska
14 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I step into the great unknown, the ball and chain I call my own."
-Sublime "Ball and Chain"


I’m from the clear glass door in the entrance of our apartment building, from my grandma’s front steps, and the dreaded door frame of my kindergarten class.
I’m from the sound of june bugs hitting the light outside our door.
I’m from watching the show Unwrapped and going to my grandma’s house everyday after school, from Valerie and Nathan Cooper.
I’m from hamburger helper and chocolate milk.
I’m from “If he makes you cry, hit him back,” and “Just because their are two of them and only one of you doesn’t mean you don’t need to share.”
I’m from McCook, --- and a combination of Wallaces, Manleys, Coopers, Arens, and Hillers.
I’m from the sound of my mom changing channels on the TV and my dad’s hand filled with notes for himself.
I’m a mix of Christian and Atheist.
I’m from the mysterious white flowers that my mom refused to let me take inside.
From the screams of my two baby sisters, the drained look on my father’s face after work, and the heartbeat in my mother’s chest that seemed to put me to sleep every time.
I’m from the green photo album that I always thought was ugly, but somehow fit our life.
I’m from the laughter and the love from all aspects of my extended family.

Now I’m from the pregnant belly that protrudes from my abdomen, the two purple scars that stand out from my arm and my leg, and my memories that remind me that everything will be okay.
I’m from the big, yellow house that is in the process of turning blue.
I’m from the constant murmur of classmates, the aroma from everyone’s lunch in thespians, from Johnathon, JoeJoe, and Audrey.
I’m from chicken alfredo and mozzarella cheese sticks from Mac’s
From, “Do you homework before you go out,” and “No going out on dirt roads in ANYBODY’S car.”
I’m from math and science and working towards being a diagnostic medical sonographer.
I am from the somewhat strict teachings of my parents and the sweet personality my grandma has to offer.
I am from deciding to be an atheist or if I truly believe in something from any religion.
I’m from the one awkward cactus in our back yard and the tree in our front yard that attracts too many bugs.
From the quirky personality of Audrey, the awkward “movements” of JoeJoe, and the loving looks from Johnathon.
I’m from 113 South --- of McCook, ---.
I’m from the purple room, across from the bathroom, that I like to call my paradise.


The author's comments:
~Everyone is part of their past.~