The Sick State | Teen Ink

The Sick State

By FlannelSkin PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
FlannelSkin PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

“If faces are different when lit from above or below – what is a face? What is anything?" - William Golding, "Lord of the Flies"

Eight to ten witches (approximately) come to Oregon to turn their fingers and tongues together under a forest that is ashamed of everyone else with fingers and teeth full of gold and silver.

That dark gray forest is an elitist, bearded entity, veiled by the hanging tears of the life that hears nothing in space and weeps humbly as stars explode silently.

The forest flicks a gloved wrist, rough and fibrous with scorn, at our sick towers.
We possess endless eyelids that extend out over things like blankets and create a protective layer between our synthetic reality and the real one, eyelids through which all light shines pink and warm, a feigned urgency that seeps out of our own liquids and tissues, however thin.

These witches, interestingly, have pinned up their eyelids to the bone with sewing needles.
Their eyes burst grotesquely out of their angular skulls like sick white fruit and yet the disapproving forest turns warm-red and carpeted for them as they come on the backs of northern beasts, fingers and tongues slack and flapping.

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

Your poetry is very reminiscent of Ginsberg and Kerouac. I'm sure you know that. But it's awesome to see people keeping Beat alive. Keep writing :)