Cancer | Teen Ink

Cancer

By Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

They said she had cancer.
A bit much for my little girl mind.
I cowered under the table when my parents left the house.
I cried, hollowing sobs racked my body.
My grandma, my grandma
On her death bed?
I wasn't allowed to see her.
This is for the best, they said.
But she's ,
My grandma, my grandma
Again under the table I cried, swallowing only sorrow.
For now I had to be strong.
She's going to get better they said.
By some miracle she did.
I visited her for winter break
And talked to her on the phone.
I was done cowering, and she was fine.
No more crying.

True story.

on Sep. 20 2013 at 11:18 am
RozaAlexander, Amory, Mississippi

rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, & accepted by idiots.

true beauty, your love for your grandma is something to be honered. This show the dedication you show for her, its truly something to be proud of.

on Jun. 13 2013 at 3:44 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Liv, oh Liv,,.. No one should ever have to go through espcially not such a little girl and I'm ever so proud of how brave you were. As you know and as I don't have to say, I can relate and I felt every line of the poem pierce me like a dagger but as I got to the ending , the heartache ceased and   I was relieved. This gave me hope. I am so so happy that she healed and she's well again. My heart goes out to you. All that felt I cannot put in words, for they are too meaningless to hold so much but I all I have said I hope you understand I wanted to say more yet am unable to. My apologies. And all my love. Maybe, God will make my Grandma well again too... I just have to have faith eh?

estherhoran__ GOLD, Bell Gardens, California

Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

this is amazing and so relatable. i had to deal with the whole you can't see them for the best dilemma except it was the hospital keeping me from seeing my grandfather because i wasn't 12 years old yet. I really love this. i totally understand the whole now more tears shed when my grandfather went into remission.

Metalhead08 GOLD, Port Republic, Maryland

"I'd rather hate you for everything you are. Than ever love you for something you are not. " FFDP "You're born alone and you die alone" FFDP "I wonder out where you can't see, inside my shell I wait and bleed." Slipknot " If youre 555 then I am 666"

You did a wonderful job in making this poem come to life! I can totally relate to this...it really brings the poem alive for those who can make a real life connection to it. In addition, I love the use of repition of my grandma, my grandma, it defiantly brought home the images in my head! Amazing!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I know I already commented... ButI had more to say! Personally, I like the poem how it is currently. Not love, just like. The reason for this is because it's almost like letting the little girl win, if that makes sense. As it is inspiring, it's just further expressing a child's sense of a "fairy tale world." In a child's world, everything is just dandy, but unfortunately we aren't blessed with perpetual luck. As this situation can very well happen, I think the poem would've been more powerful if the child was suddenly awakened from their perfect fairy tale land... I believe more potential for emotion would be present... Don't get me wrong, though! This poem is very well-written as it is.

on Apr. 6 2013 at 12:31 am

Thanks! Alzheimer's runs in my family also

on Apr. 6 2013 at 12:27 am
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

I'm so glad that she is okay! I can relate to this very easily, it wasn't cancer that my grandpa got it was alzheimer's, but I wasn't allowed to go and visit him either. I was told that I was too little and that I did not need to see him like that. I sometimes still wish I could have seen him because days later he passed, but I understand my family's perspective on that. You did a wonderful job capturing the fear and sorrow that the little girl had! I felt bad and I wanted to help her. :c I like how it starts off sad and then ends very happily and simple and sweet. Great job!

WhenItRains21 GOLD, Magnolia, Texas
You did a great job creating an image of a scared little girl, something that's often times hard to do. I love the happy ending! Wonderfully done!

on Apr. 2 2013 at 11:17 am
readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Good imagery, powerful emotion!  Really liked this poem!!

E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
Really great poem! It told a great story, and a lot of raw emotion.

on Mar. 31 2013 at 11:07 am

thank you, it means alot. I am sorry about your mom

on Mar. 30 2013 at 11:16 am
Choirgirl SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico
This is a great poem.  I am glad you wrote about your grandma.  I can relate.  My mom died of cancer a few years ago.  Keep writing!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Oh, great story and great poem. Plenty of emotion to keep the reader hoping everything's gonna be alright. it gives hope for anyone going through the same process. 

holly1999 GOLD said...
holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other

'There was no need to clarify my finger snap, the implication was clear in the snap itself' - Magnus Bane

I really liked this, and I'm really glad your grandma got better

Sparkle1pops PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
- Oscar Wilde

Great story, I loved how symboliv the table was. 

I am sorry for your losses, and I'll keep you in mind

Shadowpomgurl PLATINUM, Canton, New York

"I was NEVER that drunk." -Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow

my dad, gramps and grandma all died of cancer. its epidemic right now in this country. but im SOOO glad ur grandma got better...strong woman!

Sefora SILVER said...
on Feb. 12 2013 at 10:09 am
Sefora SILVER, Brockton, Massachusetts

"Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it."

so powerfull!!!!!!!!

Lecksi_e SILVER, Fruitport, Michigan

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say."- Anais Nin

I liked it! Maybe try to form it into a story, because I could picture it in my mind!

Under-the-Rain GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

Are you ready to go to battle with your mind?- Written by me :)
Lost the battle, win the war//Bringing my sinking ship back to the shore- Paramore, Now

I like it.  It is a very realatable topic as well, but you could add some imagery to your poem. I liked how it started out bad but then transfered to good at the end. My favorite is, "so much do my little girl mind."