A Recited Truth | Teen Ink

A Recited Truth MAG

May 20, 2008
By Anonymous

I pledge allegiance
To the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the controversial culture for which it stands
One nation, under whatever deity you choose,
Indivisible since 1965,
With liberty and justice for all who can afford a decent lawyer.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 174 comments.


on Jun. 16 2009 at 7:33 pm
AJ Krzysko BRONZE, Tower Lakes, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 8 comments
haha great poem. dont be afraid to add some more cynicism

Chrissy_L GOLD said...
on May. 28 2009 at 7:36 pm
Chrissy_L GOLD, Ramsey, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

I mean pledge, not anthem. Sorry.

The more I think about this piece, the more I see the reality in it. Sorry if I offend any hard-cored patriots, but I am an open minded liberal who is not afraid to question the effectiveness of the ethics and morals our nation preaches and spoon-feeds every child. Every day we recite the pledge in school, and while the other students drone the chant we all know, I whisper this pledge instead.

Chrissy_L GOLD said...
on May. 23 2009 at 3:21 pm
Chrissy_L GOLD, Ramsey, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Very true. We as a nation are very self centered. We blow our accomplishments way out of porportion, and love to toot our own horn. It is very creative to give this country a reality chack by using the national anthem.

FarmGirl said...
on May. 22 2009 at 8:51 pm
FarmGirl, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 15 comments
Omy gosh, I don't argree with it but i do like it



somewhat.

on May. 21 2009 at 1:25 am
very funny but has alot of history behind it lol. it`s giving people independence and the right to choose something that our country didnt have a once upon a time ago

on Apr. 23 2009 at 3:45 pm
d3nyM3nOt BRONZE, Birmingham, Alabama
3 articles 0 photos 11 comments
THAT WAS AMAZING!!!! I LOVE THE LAST LINE. i lived in a poor neighborhood when i was younger and saw alot of people go to jail but they couldnt afford a decent lawyer to plead their case efficently. im just glad someone else took notice.

DoLL_F@C3 said...
on Apr. 7 2009 at 8:40 pm
DoLL_F@C3, Memphis, Tennessee
0 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"FORGIVING YESTERDAY, LIVING FOR TODAY, NOT WORRIED BOUT TOMORROW." Doll

this was great!

on Apr. 2 2009 at 10:33 pm
JordanElyse BRONZE, Wasilla, Alaska
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments
I really liked what you wrote. It really got me thinking about our culture and society today.

123098 said...
on Apr. 2 2009 at 6:22 pm
123098, Fabius, New York
0 articles 0 photos 12 comments
That was interesting. I myself used to not say the Pledge of Allegiance, I was against the word God. Then, i slowly realized that I was allowed to decide what the Pledge meant to me, and that no matter what other people thought it said, I was the one it mattered for. I like hearing your opinion of what the Pledge and the flag, and America means to you.

angel28 said...
on Apr. 2 2009 at 1:26 pm
Your poem was funny, but after thinking about it, I was a little offended. . . Nothing in this world is going to be perfect. But what's even more sad than that is people who can't deal with that fact. Many people sacrificed their lives for this country. It's ignorant to make fun of what they died for.

NDNQT said...
on Mar. 26 2009 at 7:30 pm
I really like this poem:) It's true this county isn't as perfect as everyone is lead to believe.Just watch the news.Even our leaders are making alot of mistakes, but I have to say that it is better than some other counties.

mstampfler said...
on Mar. 16 2009 at 1:50 pm
I really dig this, so true. And I like your name, I have the same one :]

Meagan SILVER said...
on Feb. 23 2009 at 1:25 am
Meagan SILVER, Albert Lea, Minnesota
9 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."
-Lemony Snicket

Ha! I myself refuse to say the pledge. Not because of religious purposes like many reading this are going to jump to believe (And no, I'm not religious either way.) but because I was taught to say it as a requirement. Never once did I learn it's meaning and that's really what it's all about to me.

At my school we're supposed to say it every Monday and what gets me off is that my 1st hour teacher gets so angry when people don't rise to say the pledge. Why should we stand up and recite something we don't even understand?

on Feb. 9 2009 at 1:35 am
Christianity is based on "setting the captives free..." freedom.....ring a bell? Think for yourselves, not what the media dictates. Love you all.

on Jan. 25 2009 at 10:17 pm
That was sooo funny. I loved it! But America is a beautiful and so are most of the people in it. You are supposed to defend our country and if you don't like it I suggest you to get LOST!!!

Lulu said...
on Dec. 30 2008 at 4:10 pm
Look, AMERICA is NOT perfect because PEOPLE are NOT perfect. Although it's my opinion that your poem was insulting to everyone who does believe in the pledge, I will stand behind your freedom of speech because that is one of the rights that makes America so great.It's no secret that there are some corrupt people in power, the only way to bring about positive change is to be informed about our government and to set good examples that will truly make a difference in this world. As to everyone else who is complaining how bad they have it living in this country, when was the last time you went hungry for a week? Do you worry about waking uo to gunshots every night because of civil war? Are you dying for an education? Look at it this way, you can't have it THAT bad because you obviously have access to the internet!

rEVOLution said...
on Dec. 23 2008 at 10:18 pm
I have read the Constitution and found it is based on freedom, not Christianity.



I wish people would open their minds, and learn how to spell correctly before attempting to prove a point.



P.S. This is is great :D

the candyman said...
on Dec. 16 2008 at 6:29 pm
I've gotten my entire class to say this every morning when we're supposed to say the original. It's insanely awesome.

on Dec. 15 2008 at 6:03 pm
i don't see what the deal is with the word god in the pledge. wasn't this country based on christanty... read the constatution.

on Dec. 8 2008 at 2:01 pm
this is all true!! it was halarious!! i agree that this should be our pledge!!