Grandfather creator, hear my cry... | Teen Ink

Grandfather creator, hear my cry...

By hiddenprincess GOLD, Millersburg, Ohio
hiddenprincess GOLD, Millersburg, Ohio

I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
I am a dreamer and no one will ever take that away from me.
People may say that you will be nothing but you may say Watch me!

Grandfather creator, hear my cry. It seems as though our people are falling to the ground just as the sky rocks fall to the earth.

Grandfather creator, why have we been driven from our homeland, from our sacred land. Who have let these evil spirits attack our peoples?

Grandfather, when will you send the Great Spirit to relive us from this sickness that our herbs and prayers can't heal?

Grandfather creator, hear my cry as the sky water falls. Let our history never become forgotten. Let our history never be repeated

This poem is about how the Native Americans were driven from their own land. The narrator is a Native American healer praying to the Great spirit and their Grandfather Creator.

The first verse talks about how the Native peoples were dieing because of the small pox. The healer compares the dieing of his people to a meteor shower.

The second verse is the healer asking why they are being forced off their own land. This is representing the Trail Of Tears. It also shows that The Native peoples thought of the white man as evil spirits.

The fourth verse talks about the small pox and how they need to be delivered from the epidemic.

The final verse is the healer on his death bed praying his final prayer. He prays that this type of predigest