Family | Teen Ink

Family MAG

Mom
Wrinkled skin, such apparent loneliness, but a slight glow still in her eye.
Her work unseen, she scrubs and toils voluntarily.
Striving for others’ happiness.

Dad
Pressed pants with sleek button-up shirt, a constant image.
A man with wanting eyes.
Touch of his skin is cold.
He bleeds account numbers and constant projects.

Brother
Military-style hair with athletic soccer build.
Glides through life a magnet for ribbons and trophies.
Carries a look that screams, “Don’t stand in my way!”
Perfection is stamped on his forehead.

Me
Given everything, but my eyes are black and cold, lost in a gaze.
Empty heart, that doesn’t want or strive.
Confused on my path, but not seeking for the right one.
Just putting one foot in front of the other.

on Jan. 19 2011 at 8:19 am
Good Family Poem!

jessica said...
Family to all of us should the most important thing in the world. if i ever hade to sacrfice my life for them i will do it with no regrets at all. ill be happy knowing knowing that i died for someone that i love completely with all my heart

blackamethyst GOLD, Centerville, Ohio
amazing... i think a lot of teens can relate to not quite fitting in with their families. very good

amazed said...
on Feb. 12 2009 at 12:04 am
wow this poem is amazing, i can compeltely relate, its hard to think of urself as a family when ur mom and dad kinda look thru u and ur brother is perfect :-) i know how it feels to be like that, keep writing!!1

on Dec. 10 2008 at 12:37 am
I love this poem because its exactly like my family. And it sort of scares me how much the definition of "me" is like how i feel. it scared me but i like it. its rly good.

Mickey said...
I like this poem..i think it gives a good description on her life.I thought if anyone reads this poem it teaches them to keep reaching goals in there life and don't be scared if you think you can't acheve something keep going for it and like she said:"one foot in front of the other"

Krane said...
I liked the poem and i loved the felling behind it, a strong and detailed poem

Ross said...
i reall like it. the feeling behind it is strong, living lifeone day at ime isn so simple huh?

on Nov. 25 2008 at 12:29 am
- i liked it, but you shouldnt make yourself come out so different in a way that seems as if no one likes you ? its jus an oppion, not the fact.

brebre21 said...
That was great.Reminds me of most teens these days.Reminds me of me too.

I like your poem.

harmony said...
I like ur poem,it is very well written. But it makes me sad. The way u describe ur mother is sweet ( except 4 the lonelyness part) but the way u describe ur dad makes him seem cold and heartless. If u did that on perpous and if thats how he is them iam sorry he is that way. If iam wrong in my asumtion of ur dad then iam sorry. Ur brother sounds stange ( but i guess thats normal for brothers lol jk.) But what made me the saddest was how u descried urself. I know wat its like to feel like that cause Sometimes i feel the sameway, and iam sorry that u feel that way. I hope u find something that puts a smile on ur face and a glow in ur eyes.

jsjmommy said...
i liked your poem very much.i love my family

Good poem. It is very descriptive. I can really visualize the people in the poem.

Ladies200Mn said...
on Sep. 30 2008 at 10:36 am
That was a wonderful poem it was the best iv ever herd.

i liked it how it named everyone off. and how u told us what they did

vane said...
I like this poem because is about all the family. I like special the part of the mom when says but a slight glow still in her ayes.i

on Sep. 27 2008 at 11:08 am
Wow,great job. This poem is very cute. Your poem really deserves to be published in teen ink. Keep up the good work.=)

on Sep. 25 2008 at 1:11 am
That's my family, give or take a sibling or step-parent. They do give me every oppurtunity but what's the point? You know?