Black Heart | Teen Ink

Black Heart

September 27, 2011
By alexandraacreel GOLD, Lorton, Virginia
alexandraacreel GOLD, Lorton, Virginia
15 articles 8 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears."


I once awoke to the shadow of a man standing before my bed. The insidious creature, an adulterated brute, stared upon me with large, black eyes. It only stood and watched, so I went back to sleep. It disappeared before the morrow. He came again the next night. And the night after that. But three days hence, I awoke to find it wasn't there. I looked throughout my bedroom, but I couldn't find him. I climbed back into bed, and snuggled close to the covers. My hand clutched something cold and clammy. I looked to my left and saw pearly, black eyes forcing a stolid gaze into mine, the creature's cold, black body slithering closer underneath the sheets. Its claws reached over and tore open my chest. It pulled out my heart and ate of it. I did nothing and watched as blood seeped out between its rotten teeth with each liquid bite. I waited until it was finished. "Was it good?" I asked.
"Twas acrid. But I ate it because it was your heart," Then it crawled away and didn't come back.