Conundrum | Teen Ink

Conundrum

By AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

You can go away
Help get strangers back on track
Or you can stay
Enjoy these years you can never get back
You can do your duty to your country
Or you can be a soldier within your family
It’s a conundrum they said.

You can follow your dreams
Pour you sweat and your tears and your blood toward peace
Or you can stay with your heart
Nurture and cultivate your labor’s seeds
Risk your life for the cause you feel is right
Or be the rock for your children and your wife
It’s a conundrum they said.

Where is your place?
Is it a soldier – for your nation you sacrifice
Should you go or stay?
It’s hard to decide when they both feel right
Who do you owe more loyalty to?
Is it duty to country or family that dictates you?
What path should you tread, the right or the left?
It’s a conundrum they said.

What is duty?

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thank you so much! :) haha As you pointed out I do write about duty a lot - sort of my thing. :)  I'm glad you liked it, and thank you for the suggestions!

lilmartz PLATINUM, Perrysburg, Ohio

Live Life Like A Party That Never Ends

This is amazing! I know you are the author of the Duty books, so I think this is especially cool that you made a poem about the same concept. I loved every bit of this poem, except in the third stanza, line 3 "Should you go or stay?" I think it was too short that it sort of messed up the flow. If I were you I would either change that line completely or work on adding some more "meat" to it. I actually really like the idea of making it something along the lines of, "Is it a father-for your family you save." I think at least the first part would go good because it ties along with the line before that. Other than that, I thought this was really good. Nice work :)

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks - this poem means a lot to me. :)

PJD17 SILVER said...
PJD17 SILVER, Belleville, Illinois

I do the best imatation of myself- Ben Folds

great work keep it up

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Nov. 17 2010 at 6:36 am

Oooh, that's a good idea! I should do that. :)

I'll brainstorm another word I can use - I hadn't even noticed that. 

Thanks a million! :D

on Nov. 17 2010 at 6:28 am
NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

You should put this in part of the Duty series, it would go nicely.

Now, critiques.  I thought the first rhyming part sounded odd, but then I relized it wasn't the rhyming that was off, it just sounded repetative because you used 'back' twice in a short time.

My favorite line was 'nurture and cultivate your labor's seeds'  I don't know why it just sounded really inspired to me :)

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks so much.  Being a member of a military family, I really hope I did it justice. :)

AshTree SILVER said...
AshTree SILVER, Clarksville, Tennessee

"Live your art" -made this one up myself. Simple, but true.

Really wonderfully put. It is an important decision and I think you captured it well. Back then when they had the uncle sam posters and such it was a large part of our lives and today some of us forget about the soldiers out there and what they are sacrificing. They have families too.

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks so much :)

Phoenix97 PLATINUM, Minneapolis, Minnesota

See lyrics to "Let the Waters Rise" by MIKESCHAIR and "Everything" by Lifehouse

This raises interesting questions... It's powerful, the way you worded this piece. The rhyming is relevant and unforced. It doesn't read even like you "made" it rhyme but like it naturally came that way. Excellent work.

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thank you so much!  I'll check your stuff. :D

thewriteidea DIAMOND, Pleasanton, California

"Don't cry that it's over, smile because it has happened."

so good! i really love this piece. you are a great writer!

rate/comment on some of my work too if you'd like. keep writing

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks so much!  Duty is a constant mental battle for me (as you can see with a lot of my writing), so it is nice to see somebody who gets what I'm saying. :)

Phoenixx GOLD said...
Phoenixx GOLD, Toronto, Other

I LOVE!!!!

Great work :D

its like a mental battle put on paper in the form of poetry