What Goes On | Teen Ink

What Goes On

By SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut

Shimmering lights hang in the sky as if suspended. Lace clouds leave the moon half covered. It is night.
‘So much to do,’ whispers a flicker of the breeze.
‘Not enough time,’ replies a lazy rush of water.
A small and significant melody is twisted through the fingers of long weeded grass; winded again and again as a cricket slowly cries. It is a long and musical sound.
A beam of silvery light sashays and hits the river. As if to protest, the water gives a shuddering roar, a constant, steady noise. The notes are high and soon spiral into silence.
The light twinkles on the ready water, flipping and twisting in the most reluctant of spots.
A breeze flits up and down along the banks, ruffling the heads of tall grass and the occasional wildly cut bush.
Muffled steps shock the silence of the bank; a small animal wanders up unto the edge of the brushy tides and plunges into a small, interminable hollow in the ground.
Silence takes over in waves as the wind slowly and with definite finality ceases to blow; and at last a speck of light is seen.
It is dawn.

I've been trying to write descriptive pieces using words I normally wouldn't use. This is the sister piece to 'Goodnight Forest'. I didn't pick a forest shot because I really wanted the piece itself to paint the picture for the reader. Again, I'm not sure this is quite poetry but it doesn't fit to me anywhere else.

jonpettigrew SILVER, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
I really like it, it  paints a beautiful picture of the forest,  it also kind of gave me this vibe that made me feel like i was observing something in nature that really isn't meant for human eyes

i dont know if that makes any sense