The Shifting Day | Teen Ink

The Shifting Day

By Jack_Meriwether SILVER, Paulding, Ohio
Jack_Meriwether SILVER, Paulding, Ohio

"Let X equal the quantity of all quantities of X. Let X equal the cold. It is cold in December. The months of cold equal November through February. There are four months of cold, and four of heat, leaving four months of indeterminate temperature. In February it snows. In March the Lake is a lake of ice. In September the students come back and the bookstores are full. Let X equal the month of full bookstores. The number of books approaches infinity as the number of months of cold approaches four. I will never be as cold now as I will in the future. The future of cold is infinite. The future of heat is the future of cold. The bookstores are infinite and so are never full except in September...” -Proof, David Auburn

Is today today?

Yes, today is today.

Are you sure? Isn't today just yesterday's tomorrow?
Don't we belong to other people?
Is today only a hope, a mere wish?
Is not today only a yesterday for tomorrow's taking?
Are we, then, only a remembrance? A glimmer of thought?
And if it is so that today belongs to tomorrow as yesterday, what is then tomorrow?
Are we ever any thing to any body?
Or to this world?
Is tomorrow tomorrow's today?
If indeed yesterday is no more, and today is in face yesterday-in-waiting, is today no more as well?

No. Today is just purely, simply today. Not tomorrow's today nor yesterday's tomorrow or anything to anyone but you and me now.

I would not be so firm in my beliefs.
Because the universe is so dark and vast
and yet the colloquial separation so widely accepted as day and night is so very bleak.
No. Today isn't today,
tomorrow won't be today and
yesterday never was. And still,
in my heartest heart and deepest crevice of fortitude I call my spirit,
I feel that we are all slipping away.
And I haven't the faintest idea why.