🌙 Moon | Teen Ink

🌙 Moon

By elliewu GOLD, Irvine, California
elliewu GOLD, Irvine, California

Even when you face a difficult moment and fall a little bit behind, as if you’re doing a long jump, wouldn’t you have a longer runway to be able to jump further?

Shock

An inexplicable feeling

Confusion

Not understanding why something has happened

Gone

Forever gone

But never knowing why

Why he had to go

Why he had to leave

Why he felt like his life was worth less than his death

Pain and grief

There is grief that we will never be able to see him again

But there is a greater grief in knowing he had to go through such a pain

That he would believe for even a second that he might be happier if he weren’t even here

He had such a smile

He had such a kind soul

He was bright and happy

He touched the hearts of everyone around him

So much

That one would never have thought of the pain that hid behind those upturned eyes

Too much

That we were unable to see his hidden longing

No, we never realized how he must have been struggling

How he must have been suffering

Because behind that beautiful smile

How he must have been crying

Grief

Yes, there is grief that he is gone

But there is even more

Knowing that he left, believing that he meant nothing

Even when he was everything

A spirit broken

A soul lost

A glimpse of sunshine

And a piece of beauty

Gone

Gone forever

One less life that walks this Earth

One more star to see above

One less friend

One less brother

One less son

One who will never see his future

Here, he was a star

A star that ruled the stages

But now, he is a star

A star engraved in the sky

Yes, he is gone

But now

He is touching the heavens

If you keep up with kpop, or maybe you don't and you still heard about it, you probably know about the sudden passing of Moobin from Astro that headlined the news earlier this year. From his fans, staff, and people all around him in the entertainment industry, he was known for his smile, he was known for his innocence, his joy, and his kindness toward everyone around him. I wrote this poem the morning I heard the news of his passing, in tears. At that time, most people had said that it was suicide. Hearing that, I didn't know what to feel, and I honestly just couldn't believe it. My emotions were just too high and my mind was too foggy for me to think straight. I was in shock. So I wrote. I tried to write as best as I could my feelings, thoughts, and regrets. 

As of now, the official cause of his death is hidden from the public, so we don't know for certain whether it actually was suicide or not. But, despite that, he still died and he was so young - only 25 years old, not even 10 years older than me. I initially wrote this poem for him and with him in mind, but I feel like this isn't just something that applies to him only (especially since we don't even know if it actually was suicide or not). But I believe this could be a piece that anyone who has gone through losing someone can relate to, and not just from suicide but any loss. And it could be a piece that people who struggle with this want to leave this world can be reminded of their worth and to understand that they will be missed and there will always be someone who loves them and will be in pain when they leave. Love to all who read this <33