For Many Trees Break | Teen Ink

For Many Trees Break

By Writinglove24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Writinglove24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Frosty and white is my body as snowflakes land on my skin. I'm frozen to the bone but filled with excitement like children on Christmas day. Happiness grows as I sit idly in the cold. Frozen and tired from all that came before. My body aches and I wish to fall deep into the snow and lay forever.

Months go by as I melt off  my white and am able to spring back to my beautiful color of rosey pink and blossom again. The winter was cold and my arms are tired, but I must believe that I will be strong once again. So I wait, day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, for life to happen. 

Then out of nowhere, the sun's high and strong, blinding me. I raise my arms to block it from burning my eyes. Troubles have abandoned me. The worry of the cold breeze is no more and instead I feel the wind play with my hair. It tickles. Oh how I dearly missed this feeling of warmth. I wish I could stay forever.

But I know the truth, and the truth is I become orange, yellow and red. My body grows weak, and tired again from always standing so strong. My arms have fallen to the browning green. I cry off my red, orange and yellow and once again become frosty and white, awaiting to repeat the never ending cycle of life.

This free verse depicts the life of a tree through all 4 seasons, but I never specify exactly that it was a tree I was talking about. I let the reader decided that for themselves. I wanted this piece to somehow convoy mental health and seasonal depression. Many people may be triggered by different season and feel completely helpless during that time, but like a tree, there is always room to grow and you must always remember, you are not alone.