For Many Trees Break | Teen Ink

For Many Trees Break

October 20, 2022
By Writinglove24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Writinglove24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
11 articles 3 photos 0 comments

Frosty and white is my body as snowflakes land on my skin. I'm frozen to the bone but filled with excitement like children on Christmas day. Happiness grows as I sit idly in the cold. Frozen and tired from all that came before. My body aches and I wish to fall deep into the snow and lay forever.

Months go by as I melt off  my white and am able to spring back to my beautiful color of rosey pink and blossom again. The winter was cold and my arms are tired, but I must believe that I will be strong once again. So I wait, day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, for life to happen. 

Then out of nowhere, the sun's high and strong, blinding me. I raise my arms to block it from burning my eyes. Troubles have abandoned me. The worry of the cold breeze is no more and instead I feel the wind play with my hair. It tickles. Oh how I dearly missed this feeling of warmth. I wish I could stay forever.

But I know the truth, and the truth is I become orange, yellow and red. My body grows weak, and tired again from always standing so strong. My arms have fallen to the browning green. I cry off my red, orange and yellow and once again become frosty and white, awaiting to repeat the never ending cycle of life.


The author's comments:

This free verse depicts the life of a tree through all 4 seasons, but I never specify exactly that it was a tree I was talking about. I let the reader decided that for themselves. I wanted this piece to somehow convoy mental health and seasonal depression. Many people may be triggered by different season and feel completely helpless during that time, but like a tree, there is always room to grow and you must always remember, you are not alone.