Dear | Teen Ink

Dear

May 17, 2019
By Susannah_Cochran BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
Susannah_Cochran BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear “Friend.”


 I was asked “ Why did you leave ? Why did you turn away? Why are you so mean?


I made them pull up a chair and let them get comfortable. I eyed them seeing if they were ready for the truth.

“The Truth?” I raised my eyes to theirs with a certain flair. I leaned forward to make them see the formidable blazing in my eyes.

I left because you were slowing me down. Pulling me back to the ground. As well you are toxic to me, it was always your way or the highway.

You constantly hide behind a shining veil- a screen.

You think you are so big and bad for what? Being immature ? Getting your feelings hurt? I don’t have the time nor the care, I left ,you stayed .

When I say I am done, I am done . You are a coward, indeed, always cowering behind something instead of growing up and facing facts .

You don’t have the guts in person. You don't have it , You can talk the talk but you can’t walk the walk. You play the victimhood card, when You are the one who inflicted me. I am not afraid . I know I have a mouth, but you as well have the doubt.

I grew and you didn’t , I got a taste for what's out there as you remain close minded.

I feel as if you were blinded by what's around you, not opening your eyes that I have the right to change too.

I am doing this for me, I chose happiness, something you would often try and take from me.

You call me fake when I have long shut out your snakes,

I am changing for the better, so this is your chance, I chose happiness because you aren’t apart of it . You broke my trust yet you lust for what I have.

I learned this is highschool, a small chapter of life when you find out who are the kings, queens, jokers and fools.

Quite frankly, I am none, but you my “friend” are indeed a fool. You do not understand trust nor privacy, almost like one committing adultery.

I can do better so I hope this letter stings you to your core. I could care less what you do, for I am gone soon.

This may not be a scarlet letter, but for what you’ve done it might as well be one. Your pettiness is nothing but your hot headedness of when I walked away.

I've been happy since that day .  I can sleep, I can be me comfortably. I am free.

Continue living in your small bubble of trouble. Enjoy your life. Because I will be en


The author's comments:

This poem, I wrote at a time of betrayal and rage over a friend. I felt betrayal and I just was so angry and frustrated I wrote about it.