single sided | Teen Ink

single sided

By catie_butler BRONZE, Washington D.c., District Of Columbia
catie_butler BRONZE, Washington D.c., District Of Columbia

“Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.” — Hillary Clinton

I never understood the meaning of each love song, at least until that love I felt was gone. This way to put it into words, to characterize and give meaning to these emotions seemed absurd. I thought it was stupid. Love. And when I got to this point where I figured out it existed, once it was over, I couldn't resist it but was convinced it would never happen again my body pounding as if it had been torn limb by limb. It changed completely, the feeling of grief and agony, first love they say it never lasts but when it's over suddenly it's in the past, but that memory it remains, the certain smells or places that call their name and how you miss them but that relationship will never be the same.

This is a poem about first love, specifically the pain of one's first heartbreak, it shows how it isn't easy but at some point, you can conquer and get through it.