Roses | Teen Ink

Roses

February 12, 2019
By Marysia PLATINUM, Halifax, Virginia
Marysia PLATINUM, Halifax, Virginia
33 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is nothing to die. It is frightful not to live."
-Victor Hugo


The figures of stone watch over us with vigilance.

The songbirds sing our praises in their molto vivace.

The wildflowers form a carpet underneath our feet.

The golden beams of sun form a spotlight above us.

The trees, standing tall, cast shadows on our idle cares.

The roses give us warning that, along with the shrubbery, love grows here.

Are the roses correct in their prediction

That someday, we shall walk this path arm in arm?

Or am I doomed

To wander these gardens alone?


The author's comments:

Marya Ruth Dunning is a Polish-American writer and advocate. She discovered her love for writing in elementary school, and her poetry has been published in the Young American Poetry Digest since she was in first grade. She has gone on to win awards from contests such as the Women's Club Writing Contest, the Patriot's Pen Essay Contest, and the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. In 2018, Marya was invited to attend the YMCA's Conference On National Affairs as the youngest out of nearly seven hundred delegates from across the United States. She claims that this experience changed her life and inspired her to start a Youth and Government club at her YMCA, an achievement that she regards as her proudest. In addition, this experience has inspired many of her works, including the award-winning short story "Ever Onward."