Rock bottom | Teen Ink

Rock bottom

October 3, 2018
By Shayla.Long DIAMOND, Louisville, Kentucky
Shayla.Long DIAMOND, Louisville, Kentucky
52 articles 1 photo 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Teenagers only have to focus on themselves - its not until we get older that we realize that other people exist."- Jennifer Lawrence


The ocean is so far in depth 

And so wide, in all it's extremity, that we have only discovered less than 1%. 

I walk along the beach, sand making my toes curl and the sound of the water making me smile. 

I walk closer to the shore and the water starts to brush against my feet. 

Not the pull of the current but the pull of my emotions makes me begin to walk into the water. 

My feet can no longer feel the movement of sand, and I find myself swimming farther out to sea. 

I don't look back for a long time, afraid I might change my mind. 

So I keep swimming. 

My arms start to tread the water 

And I can feel my emotions being lost to sea with every kick, creating waves behind me. 

I've stopped swimming, stopped treading. 

I open my eyes and find myself swimming among fish. 

It's like a chain wrapped around my feet, pulling me farther down into the darkness of the sea. 

I look down and see this chain begging me to join the rocks at the bottom. 

I take one last look at the fish swimming through my flowing hair. 

I look up, expecting to see some kind of light, only able to see coral reefs, breathing. 

So I grant this chain it's wish, and I enclose my own throat and let the saltwater rush into my body. 

I felt the drop of the chain when I finally hit sand one last time. 


The author's comments:

A poem (not based on any kind of true story or personal experience), about a girl drowning in the ocean.