Escape the Raging Silence | Teen Ink

Escape the Raging Silence

By KingsWit BRONZE, Janesville, Wisconsin
KingsWit BRONZE, Janesville, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.”
-CS Lewis

#1:

The blue light stopped blinking, like a heartbeat in death.  "No, snap out of it! Shut up and quit it!" But I couldn't it still felt like dying.  It wasn't even the end, just the end of the new stuff, but for some reason none of us cared about anything else.  But it still felt like the end. I shoved the earpiece in my pocket, and got out of my chair.

The lifeless concrete hallway with the lifeless white walls was filled with a lifeless noise of feet and empty words, lifeless chatter and dead sounds that didn't even mean anything. . .

Blurry faces; invisible minds hiding behind them.

Thirty or forty empty, fact-filled brains walking towards doors that would numb the pain with more numbers.

BLINK

#3:

BLINK

#4:
I gave up.  It'd never be enough.  I didn't even care anymore, because it was all fake.  New? Not really. Just the same trash repackaged. They quit the whole "memories" thing years ago, because nobody wanted to remember, but now we were dying and we didn't even know if anyone had done it before.

It wasn't enough, I needed more, but I couldn't find it anywhere...

I desperately swiped on the little glass rectangle again.  Frantically numb. I needed to feel. I NEED IT! ANYTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING, I DON'T CARE!

but i couldn't even shock myself awake anymore. . .

I dropped the phone.  The walls fell up and the world reeled sideways just before the floor hit me.  Grasping at the concrete, cutting my fingers on the broken glass, hiding from the eyes that bludgeoned me back down, they don't see anything, I'M ALONE!  I'M ALONE! I NEED TO GET OUT! im lost.

I ran.  I ran with a soundless scream, bruises and blood and my sanity lost.  I ran.

And no one stopped me.

BLINK

#5:
I ignore the blue light.  At least, if ignore means "to strain desperately but still resist."  The silence roared inside of me, tearing at my bones. I yanked my eyes up and dragged my gaze across the crowd of minds.  I wanted to see through the skin and the hair and the cells and the show, I wanted to know that I wasn't the only one here.  Minds. Like me, but I can't see them. I try to look through their eyes but no one looks into mine.

The roaring silence.

Fiery frozen and lifelessly running.

Running.  Running. Running

Why am I running, and what will I find?

My tears fall behind me as I flee, angrily despairing and screaming inside, I need to to know, I need to KNOW!  

I see a flash of color that stills the chaos, bores into my mind from behind his bangs, and I think those eyes mean I'm not the only one.  

I take a slow step forward.

There are few things I would like better than to explain this piece.

Because I don't know what it means.

In writing it I aimed to capture and magnify a kind of lonely pain I see in our culture.

It's not a happy piece, and it was never meant to be.