I Am an Actress | Teen Ink

I Am an Actress

By TessD. SILVER, Lewes, Delaware
TessD. SILVER, Lewes, Delaware

"Be yourself no matter what anyone else thinks"

I am an actress.
I was born the first moment a child said, “I feel like being someone else today”.
I have been many people in many places.
I am a teacher mentoring the young minds of beginner actors who soar onto the stage with high hopes of theatrical success.
I am a perfectionist desiring for my dialogue to be delivered flawlessly as well as my singing to be in time with the beat.
I am the older sibling who take the newbies under my wing and ensure them I’m always here if they need a friend.
The names of those who have practiced my profession have always reminded me why I perform. Emma Watson, Sierra Boggess, Emmy Rossum, Victoria Justice, Devyn Nekoda and many more.
I have wept for joy when I hear the audience’s applause after a successful opening night, laughed with glee at a fellow actor’s goofing off back stage, and stood with my head bowed in grief when a performer can’t be in the show.
Throughout the course of the day, I have been called upon to be a singer, dancer, friend, teacher, silly goose, show-off, worry -wart, and a shining star.
I am a paradox. I feel the most like myself when I’m portraying a different character.
The ensemble and supporting roles are just as significant in a production, but I’d love to be the lead in my journey through theater.
I am the most fortunate of all who labor.
A teacher is allowed to provide a child an education, where as an actress is allowed to motivate people through powerful dialogue and song.
A director knows that their image for a performance will be remembered for centuries. An actress knows that that the directors image couldn’t have occurred without the help of the talented cast.
I am a warrior, doing daily battle against harsh critiszm, fierce competition, late night rehearsal, memorization, quick costume changes, and brainstorming an out-of-the-box character choice to enact.
But I have great allies: curiosity, risk, support, creativity, laughter, and individuality all follow me through my expedition.
And who do I have to thank for this wonderful calling I am so lucky to experience, but you my family, my music teacher, and my friends. For you have done me the fantastic honor to entrust myself with the privilege to entertain and inspire future generations to come.
And so, I have a past that is precious in memories in which I look back on to think about. I have a present that is challenging, yet fun and rewarding because I am able to look forward to my days I will spend with the future.

I am an actress... and I thank my music teacher Mr. Birl for it every day.

This year in writing class, my class was assigned with writng an I am poem. We followed the guide lines of the I am a Teacher poem we were given. So, I chose to write, I am an actress