I Spent it Away | Teen Ink

I Spent it Away

December 31, 2015
By SLkassie BRONZE, Fresno, California
SLkassie BRONZE, Fresno, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The generous man gave me a coin. I spent it away. The locksmith lent me a key but I would not let him stay. The author wrote my name but I blotted it out. The King gave me his ring but I told him that I could do without. The teacher spoke but I did not learn. The hero tried to put out the fire but I left him to burn. The physician healed me but I pierced him with scorn. The promise keeper held my hands and I broke the oath I had sworn. My Father sang me a song but I did not hear. The innocent man bled for me and I pierced him with a spear.

The arms are open wide. The voice calls into the night. But the gulls caw. Their wings flash white.
Come to me my beloved. Come to me and be new. Come to me broken clock for I love you.
.
You spent my coin but I'll give you all I own. You turned me away but for you great fields I have sown. I will write your name in gold with the finest pen. Please never turn away from me again. I will give you kingdoms beyond your wildest dreams. I will grant you wisdom so vast that like the stars it shall gleam. I will save you from the flames. I will forget all of your blame. Your body and your soul I will mend. My oath to you I shall defend. I will sing you a song brighter than the morn. For the sake of my love for you I was torn. Yet I have bent and broken your spear. I bleed crimson for you and yet I hold you most dear.

Listen. Listen. My voice shakes the earth.
Listen Listen. These visions are of no worth.
Listen. Listen. I beg of thee.
Listen Listen. Oh child and see.

The gulls they caw and fight. What is the difference between wrong and right? The street lights shine so very dim. The car horns sing a song quite grim.

Someone is screaming but I cannot hear.
Someone is crying but I cannot feel.
Someone is reaching but I cannot see.
Someone is reaching, reaching out.

The generous man gave me a coin. I spent it away.


The author's comments:

This piece is about the noise that often distracts people from finding God. I personally have searched for fullfillment in so many diffrent things, when all along who I really needed had His arms wide open.