Ode to Spiderman | Teen Ink

Ode to Spiderman

By LotusChild PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina
LotusChild PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina

"Let them hate, so long as they fear me" ~Colligula

Quick whips of wit, quips
That hide the pain,
A flame on the wick of a candle
Of true blue and furious red
Such a brilliant and leveled head
That being said, your bed
Is often empty and when not,
You're caught between hot
Loves of justice and what
Girl you happen to have sought,
Whether the girl next door or the daughter of a cop,
You unwittingly, unfittingly, slaughter
Every girl with which you talk,
Either through death or neglect
You take time to reflect on the fact
That your life is not yours
You've given your powers to the people
Their opinion of you frail, feeble
And yet you keep the steep fleet of evil
From the world that see you as a menace
Not masked to guard those you love,
Rather to protect those who love you above
All else, that would die to keep your secret
Secret, what secret do you regret?
Keeping a world inside your mind
Makes the world you save hard to find,
Still you find a way to keep away the lies,
You surprise those who regard you with hate and despise,
You say what you may but you save the day,
It's okay to let go of your fate,
Rest now and forever, you're late for the play,
For class and the scientific display,
Think not in your dismay, for your dear aunt May will stay
Come what may,
you still save the day.

A few years back I was in a Creative Writing class. One of my assignments was to write an ode to something. I chose a subject that would please my teacher, as he is a Spiderman fan, however the poem I wrote was just the spiderman song with a few changed words. He was right to write thief on that page. It's been 2 years and I decided to finally right that wrong. Enjoy.

Dedicated to Mr. Mattaeu

on Aug. 7 2015 at 10:11 am

True, but I've been waiting for a good time to read them. I work a full time job and I write too. I will read them asap, I promise! :3

Beila BRONZE said...
on Aug. 7 2015 at 6:07 am
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

:) See?! Your writing *is* exceptional. You are the "better poet" you speak of--but we've already discussed how you take compliments. As to "The Dream"... Of course I was itching to read a fictional story by you. I couldn't wait to see my love for prose combined with my admiration of your talent... but I've since realized it was a little like how I feel about Baskin Robbins cakes. (Please tell me they have those in Carolina.) Basically, when you get ice cream from Baskin Robbins, it's awesome. When you get a cake from a cake bakery, it's to die for. But when you get Baskin Robbins to make a cake, it's kind of colder and meltier than you'd first envisioned it, and you start eating it of course, but eventually you get a brain freeze and end up leaving half in the freezer for an unknown period of time, and at some point in the future, you think back on that birthday party and wonder, "Why didn't I just get a cake? Or just ice cream?" And sadly, the metaphor speaks for itself. I'm completely in love with your poetry, and I'm passionate about prose. But with "The Dream," I didn't comment because I didn't really have much to say. Certainly you're not bad at prose or anything... as an ice cream cake isn't a bad cake at all... your writing knowledge and ability is evident regardless of what you write. But it's not the same as when I read "Divinity" and didn't start breathing again until I'd read it twice. Does that make any sense? :-/ Also, unfair question. You haven't told me what you thought of the poetry I gave you.

on Aug. 6 2015 at 1:47 pm

Also, I'm curious as to why you haven't read "The Dream" I posted, or if you have, why you haven't commented on it. I would have thought you of all people would have been itching to read a fictional story by me :P

on Aug. 6 2015 at 1:42 pm

I have to be honest, I may have made a subconscious connection, but as a poet I rarely actively think about what I'm writing and say "that reminds me about me, I'm gunna write it a certain way" I generally write what I'm feeling at the time. Also, when you were quoting "My Own Words" I honestly thought you were quoting a better poet, I didn't notice it was my own work until I was halfway through the quote X3 Lol

Beila BRONZE said...
on Aug. 6 2015 at 2:04 am
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

I like it. :) You have such a way with words.... I don't know how you know how to do it, but your personal rhyme scheme really works, and consistently, too. Your poetry is always easily read aloud. As for this specific piece, I like the flame/Spiderman parallel you've drawn in colors, and I'm intrigued by these lines: "You've given your powers to the people/ Their opinion of you frail, feeble" They remind me of these: "I gave everything, I gave and I had it all/ They looked to me, I knew they saw/ A god! A god is what they saw, a man/ That ascended and defended them/ And when all was over, the war was fought/ They all returned home, I was little more than a thought/ But I thought, I thought that they loved me/ I thought that they saw me and loved me" Were you thinking of him as related to you, or no? Because I immediately thought of that as I was reading.