Silence | Teen Ink

Silence

By Be_Free PLATINUM, Longview, Texas
Be_Free PLATINUM, Longview, Texas

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion overall." -- The Masque of the Red Death, Edgar Allan Poe

This isn’t how it was at first. Then, there were worlds that didn’t need the sound. There were places that were amazing in every way just for the sake of being amazing. Worlds full of insane things, worlds full of wonder, worlds full of life and fulfillment and beauty. Worlds. Then, they didn’t need the sound. Sound is a thing that destroys. It destroys with light. Like a thunderstorm or a lightning storm or a storm in general. Sound is a thing that destroys. The Storm is a lover’s quarrel that kills more than the lovers themselves. No. This lover’s quarrel kills nations and villages and towns. This quarrel kills people and worlds and lives. All because of sound.

Now the world needs a noise. The world is a phonophobic, a misophoniac, a creature that doesn't need to be drowned in nonsense and pollution, but it doesn’t know any better. It should! The world should KNOW where it came from and KNOW how its body lived! The world should KNOW the cause of its affliction! The world should be rid of it! The world should just KNOW, that once there was a creature far more beautiful than Sound. Once there was a ruler far more generous than Harmony. There was a name far more wanted than Voice. There was once a time when the only thing needed wasn’t expression. No. The only thing we needed then, was Silence.

Maybe this stems fromy my dislike of most noisy things.