Separate Is Not Equal | Teen Ink

Separate Is Not Equal

By SammiStar15 SILVER, Newark, Delaware
SammiStar15 SILVER, Newark, Delaware

Separate but equal, 1880’s through the 1960’s.

Education: The schools for white children and the schools for negro children shall be conducted

separately. Florida

Parks: It shall be unlawful for colored people to frequent any park owned or maintained by the

city for the benefit, use and enjoyment of white persons...and unlawful for any white

person to frequent any park owned or maintained by the city for the use and benefit of

colored persons. Georgia

Amateur Baseball: It shall be unlawful for any amateur white baseball team to play baseball on

any vacant lot or baseball diamond within two blocks of a playground devoted to the

Negro race, and it shall be unlawful for any amateur colored baseball team to play

baseball in any vacant lot or baseball diamond within two blocks of any playground

devoted to the white race. Georgia

Restaurants: It shall be unlawful to conduct a restaurant or other place for the serving of food in

the city, at which white and colored people are served in the same room, unless such

white and colored persons are effectually separated by a solid partition extending from

the floor upward to a distance of seven feet or higher, and unless a separate entrance from

the street is provided for each compartment. Alabama

Available to whites only.

The Blind: The board of trustees shall...maintain a separate building...on separate ground for the

admission, care, instruction, and support of all blind persons of the colored or black race. Louisiana

Equality promotion: Any person...who shall be guilty of printing, publishing or circulating

printed, typewritten or written matter urging or presenting for public acceptance or

general information, arguments or suggestions in favor of social equality or of

intermarriage between whites and negroes, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject

to fine or not exceeding five hundred (500.00) dollars or imprisonment not exceeding six

(6) months or both. Mississippi

Burial: The officer in charge shall not bury, or allow to be buried, any colored persons upon

ground set apart or used for the burial of white persons. Georgia

Unwilling to change.

Textbooks: Books shall not be interchangeable between the white and colored schools, but shall

be continued to be used by the race first using them. North Carolina

Entrances: There shall be maintained by the governing authorities of every hospital maintained

by the state for the treatment of white and colored patients separate entrances for white and colored patients and visitors, and such entrances shall be used by the race only for which they are prepared. Mississippi

Questionable laws that segregate.

Under the Jim Crow laws.

All must abide by.

Lunch Counters: No persons, firms, or corporations, who or which furnish meals to passengers at

station restaurants or station eating houses, in times limited by common carriers of said passengers, shall furnish said meals to white and colored passengers in the same room, or at the same table , or at the same counter. South Carolina

For white use only.

Separate but equal.

Clean, fresh, new, nice, safe.

Won’t do any harm

Segregation is best

We have everything

For colored only.

Separate but equal.

Dirty, broken, old.

Always in trouble

End segregation now

We are not equal

.
Separate but not equal. Everything that was designated to whites had an opposite and unequal version available to the colored. Never mixing. Equal, in mind, to one who believes that whites are superior to all other races. A time where all are full of hate; why? People are people, white is black.