Disaster | Teen Ink

Disaster

By Taconut7 GOLD, Cohasset, Minnesota
Taconut7 GOLD, Cohasset, Minnesota

Life's challenges are not to bring you down, they are to help you become a stronger and better person! -Me

"If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will forever live its life believing it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

A catastrophe is a hard thing to bear
Like having a best friend say goodbye
Life sometimes is so unfair

A wave approaches without any care
As it crashes on land causing people to die
A catastrophe is a hard thing to bear

The old man stares at a young bird soaring with flare
Wishing that he too can fly
Life sometimes is so unfair

There is movement in the air as the ground starts to tear
A big cloud of dust rises up into the sky
A catastrophe is a hard thing to bear

A model strokes her long glamorous hair
As a victim of bulling runs off to cry
Life sometimes is so unfair

A newlywed widow looks down at the casket to stare
At her husband whose skin is all dry
A catastrophe is a hard thing to bear
It makes life sometimes seem so unfair

The purpose of this poem is to highlight the tragedies of the world and the personal struggles of everyday people. Since at the time I was going through a tough time, I though writing about this would help relieve some of the trouble. (P.S.: I am fine now)

This is a villianelle which I wrote for my creative writing class.

on Apr. 20 2012 at 9:58 am
amahzing_grace GOLD, Prattville, Alabama

I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings.
-Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

this is really good  (:

butterfly123 said...
on Apr. 18 2012 at 11:11 am
butterfly123, Banglore, Other
hey! nice one. good comparions. i like the irony and dark humour in the phrase "newly wed widow". the title sums up the whole poem very well. it has a good flow ....but after a point the rhyme scheme feels a little forced . also, i think you mean 'bullying' and not 'bulling'. :) don't worry about all that though, i tend to make the same mistakes. on the whole: great work and keep writing XD oh and i'm happy to hear that you are fine now :D

Taconut7 GOLD said...
on Apr. 16 2012 at 9:35 pm
Taconut7 GOLD, Cohasset, Minnesota

Well, a villianelle is kind of hard to explain. It basically has a very complex rhyming scheme invovling only two rhymes, like A and B.

on Apr. 16 2012 at 4:07 pm
HoldingFast GOLD, Plano, Texas

"If I wasn't meant to fly, I wouldn't have these wings"

I like this alot. btw whats a villanelle???? i feel like a nub asking that but yeah.... I espically love the newlywedwidow line, it really embodies the pain in my mind.

on Apr. 15 2012 at 7:10 pm
snowleopard100 PLATINUM, New York City, New York

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

ItS A little too straightforward for me and the rhyming makes it seem kind of childiish in relation to such a serious topic. Nonetheless I love the comparisons you make and the overall message of the poem. Keep it up