Nick The Forgetful | Teen Ink

Nick The Forgetful

March 8, 2024
By Anonymous

A long time ago when the earth was young and there were few people to call it home, there was an old man. Nick the Forgetful was a short, sad, and decrepit old man who sat at the top of a hill in an old shed. The shed had no windows and one door. The only light that showed through was from a hole on the door and the cracks in the walls. There was little in this house; the only furniture present was a small table and a chair. The only other items in the home consisted of a mat to lay on, a stack of paper, a quill, and a bottle of ink.  Everyday the old man wrote a letter to his son Nick the Second, but due to his horrible dementia, he forgot to deliver it. He did this over and over and over again. Every day he wrote the same letter, but as he finished writing it would slip away. Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, and months turned into years of this repeating. 

One day Nick got out his quill and ink to write the letter, but something felt weird. Purchance…I wrote this before Nick thought. He stopped writing his letter and suddenly his chest tightened up. He felt weak and dizzy as he fell to the ground of his rocking chair. The sad old man had a heart attack. Nobody found him for a long time, until Nick the Second finally came to visit his father, hoping to borrow coins to buy the town's wine. But when he came to the shed with no windows and one door he had previously left his father in, he found the old man dead on the floor. He fell to his knees, as he knew he would no longer be able to borrow his valuable coins. Nick the Second. found a pile of letters in the dark corner of the shed, a place that was too dark to see  for the old man. There he found 25,185 letters. If only Nick the second had been there for his decrepit father he could have borrowed more coins. 

Nick the Second, heard a voice call out to him. It was his mother’s, the goddess of memory. His father had only told stories before of his mother, and now her voice called out to him. “You have been neglectful of your father, he who held all of the world's inconvenience of DeJa Vu within his soul, now this essence will affect the people of the village below for the rest of eternity. Nick the Second, cried out in agony of not being able to buy more wine and slightly for the death of his father. He ran away never to be seen again. Tales tell that he now hides in his own shed, on top of his own hill, forever affected with the inconvenient feeling that purchance…everything he does, he has done before. The town grew into the world's population, the essence of Deja Vu diminishing over time, but to this day it still affects the earth's people from time to time. Nick the Second’s mother, the goddess of memory, watches over, disappointed as this is all Nick the Second’s fault.