Christmas in November | Teen Ink

Christmas in November

December 12, 2023
By Psiwildcat BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee
Psiwildcat BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food" ~~ Jim Davis


Its still the month of fall

So why is your house dressed for Christmas?

It’s nowhere near the 25th yet!

Just yesterday it was still November,

But your décor was already up an entire month before December!

I can only regard you as a fool.

 

You might be mad about me calling you a fool;

I think the title’s fitting, given that we’re midway through the season of fall.

You say that you couldn’t wait for the far-off time of the 1st of December;

I say that it was insane on November 1st when you decided to put up your lights for Christmas.

You exclaim that after Halloween, it’s all fair game when the calendar says November;

I respond with the notion that it isn’t even near your holiday yet.

 

You find my points absurd, however, I still stand outside your house at night, causing you to always yell; “WILL YOU STOP BLASTING YOUR HALLOWEEN MUSIC YET???”

Laughing, I turn it up. You turn away and think that I was the fool.

It’s weeks after October, you muse, why do you still care about Halloween all the way in the middle of November?

You continue; It’s long past your month, let me have the rest of fall!

Let me have my favorite holiday, Let me see snow, gifts, and reindeer for Christmas!

One month isn’t enough for me! I simply can’t wait to express my cheer until December!

 

But eventually, it is December.

Everytime I venture forth, my ears are blasted with songs. I always wish that I could hear some normal music, yet,

The holiday tunes are the only thing that plays on the radio during Christmas.

If I was to ask to change the channel, I would be called the fool.

But when I think back all the way to what you played during fall,

I find that Halloween Music was hardly played at all, even before the start of November.

 

I wallow in sadness at my favorite holiday, overtaken every first of November,

Only for it’s replacement to be strengthened every December!

Halloween never gets two months, or even the rest of fall!

Some people point out that thanksgiving exists, yet

Nobody puts out decorations for turkey day unless they don’t really celebrate Halloween, which makes them a certified fool.

However, early decorations are largely tolerated and accepted as long as it’s for Christmas.

 

Some may call me a Grinch for seemingly disliking Christmas.

But, I do like Christmas, just nowhere near November.

Honestly, if you can’t wait until at least December 1st, I will consider you a certified fool.

There is indeed a place for that holiday, and it is mid to late December!

You always get mad at me when I say no to “So, are you decorating for Christmas yet?”

Even when this same question is posed in the middle of fall.


The author's comments:

I wrote this sestina at the beginning of December; I'm a bit proud of it.