Mixed Me | Teen Ink

Mixed Me

By LALA12 BRONZE, East Hartford, Ct, Connecticut
LALA12 BRONZE, East Hartford, Ct, Connecticut

Everyone likes Ice cream. Everyone likes swirl Ice cream cones. The way the chocolate and the vanilla ice cream complement each other and make that pretty brownish color. A rich, sweet, creamy frozen food made from all different colors, all mixed together. Like me.

I'm that mixed chick. Some people think math, science, and history are the hardest things ever. For me it's different, being mixed is the hardest obstacle you could ever face. Trust me, I should know.

My mom is black. She has thick black coils, her chocolate skin, and her almost black eyes. 

People are in shock when I say my mom is black. That's probably cause they think im hispanic. I get it all. Mexican, Dominican, Colombian, Ecuadorian, Puertorican. But I never get Mixed or Black or White. That brings me to my dad. My dad is white. He has light brown short hair, Pale skin with freckles, and blue almost grayish eyes. I guess you can call me unique or special. 

But that's not how the world sees me. That's not how the world works. I will always be seen as half this half that, never as whole.  Just a disgrace, that's what they see me as. 

Sometimes I wish I could be one thing. 

Just black. Just white. 

Sometimes I wish I could be normal 

A normal girl without thick hair

A normal girl that’s not a disgrace 

Sometimes I ask myself if everyone likes swirl ice cream then why don’t they like me? What did I do wrong? Would they prefer if I was just black or just white? Do they see me as equal? Or am I the imposter? The bad guy. The antagonist.Why do they view me differently? We breathe the same air. But because I’m special or unique I’m treated like a mutt. 

I know I should not compare

But I do 

Why should I be the one that gets bullied 

While my sister, who is exactly like me, is not bullied. She stole my face.

But she’s treated equally. Is it because she has freckles? Or her hair is thinner than mine? 

Or because I’m a shade darker than her?

I don’t like the mindset of the world.

I don’t like I don’t like being seen as different.

As a shame.

I don’t like the fact that when I walk with my

Black cousins that were suddenly not related because of the color of our skin 

I hate it and hates a strong word 

Being mixed is so hard, I should know 

My mom is black my dad is white

My dad says I’m unique 

My mom says I’m special 

That’s not how the world views me 

It’s not how this world works 

I will always be seen as half this half that, never as whole.

Trust me I should know

I’m a pro 

But I won’t let the world view me as a disgrace

For I know I’m different and that’s ok

Sometimes I wish I could be one thing. 

Just black. Just white. 

Or I can be me 

Yes I’m black and white 

And I’m proud to shout it out

Im that mixed chick

And the mixed chick is me

I’m Leylah. Yes, I’m that mixed chick. My whole life I have been bullied for who I am. For what I am.
I made this poem expressing how I feel as a mixed girl in the society that we live in today. Over the years of my life I have become more confident in my skin and where I come from. I’m no longer afraid to say I am mixed. I hope you enjoy my poem!