Flame of Love | Teen Ink

Flame of Love

January 15, 2019
By Anonymous

          You say you want to speak my love language, and you speak love to me through your gentle eyes and golden soul.  When you slide your fingers down my smooth palms and wrap them in between my knuckles, I can feel the throbbing passion in your hand.  Your deep warmth, I feel it even when we’re apart. It’s from the flame you lit inside my heart long ago and it’s still burning with tenderness.  Its energy never dims. Despite the unknown future, and as we have no knowledge yet of, one another, the impact we had on each other, nor the longer difference we may be in each other’s lives, this flame of love still exists in a time, and always will in every reality.  Just because it may not be known yet, does not mean it does not exist.


        And what about that flame? Just the concept of fire, how mesmerizing.  Once ignited, it is fresh, hot and scary. You become excited with its newness and want more, you see how to make it bigger and better.  You could throw a bunch of straw into the fire, it would quickly escalate in size and thrill, but only temporarily please the eye, as soon after, the straw will have been incinerated and the orange flames will begin to diminish.  That fire will not last. In the other direction, giving nothing forth, leaving it to burn with no effort from you, ignoring it and its needs, that fire shall neither last. To maintain a strong fire, you must be patient by letting it grow to be strong with steady care.  You build a base for it to burn off of. You establish sturdy logs before the fire is lit, this wood is the meat, the core of the fire, it is what will keep the fire burning long,

Patria 2

even through the harsh gusts of winds that blow through in the chilly, dark night.  In a more spread-out, but perpetual manner, you will ever so often poke the fire, add some twigs, some leaves, maybe some old newspapers to spice it up, but you even it out.  You continuously provide the fire with just enough nurturing, long term. This is how you will keep a fire burning strong. Fire is difficult, fire is dangerous, fire is providing, fire is fragile, fire is powerful, fire is beautiful- and so is love.  You see, in order to keep a mutual sharing of love strong and durable, it needs patient care, just like a fire. Love even is fire in some sense, you have to develop it, and work to keep it going, giving up on it will cause it to die off. Stay close and let the heat of our love keep us and our flame alive.


10 years ago: you have no idea of my existence yet, but that does not mean I do not exist. I am here, and always have been for you, just as you have been for me.  Time is not relative to reality, just as there was a time when we may not have been together, but we have been together in every reality. We have always been each other’s. This has been what we have done all along; be there for each other.  We’ve always needed each other, even if we may not be aware of it now, it is all in time. The fire has always been burning, it has just been hiding under the ash of destiny. Our destiny made it possible for us to bless each other with our love.   You have made me feel safe and secure, I know I have my place, nestled right in your heart.

To you, who I may not yet even know, I’m here for you, whoever you are.  I know that in time, I will know you and this is what I will feel for you.  As for my place in time right now, I am attempting to connect with my future self that is with you.  I long for a love of my imagination, that I hope will be fate. All around me, are examples of hate, false love, and broken hearts; I watched it growing up, I watched it trying to help, I watched it while wondering why.  I have the power to be different, even if it only has to be in my imagination right now. Writing this to you, for me feels like time travel. Whoever you are. I am tapping into the embers to come. I’m dreaming about the sparks, the sparks that’ll start the fire to our flame of love.


The author's comments:

This is kinda like a "Dear future husband" type of write, but with my future self connecting to my present self.