Are Pro Athletes Paid Too Much? | Teen Ink

Are Pro Athletes Paid Too Much?

By Lukas_Hoffman SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Lukas_Hoffman SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Pro athletes are the considerable best in there sport. I’m going to talk about the Kirk Cousins and his massive deal with the “Vikings”.Kirk Cousins signed a three year 27 million dollar deal.For a Quarterback that has no playoff wins that’s  a lot of money.But he was the so called best QB on the market and they have the cap room for him so the Vikings went and got him.The vikings also had a key addition in signing Sheldon Richardson.So I’m going to be talking about the way big stars help the team,Hurt the team,and what it may lead to.

How it helps a team so you have a big star signing like minnesota and people are talking about and buying merchandise of the player,Following his social media’s and things like that.So they really bring hype superbowl talks.When the team has no superbowl wins it’s even more hype especially a team that got to the NFC Championship with a third string quarterback.Then there is teams like the yankees that people hate to see get big players because they have big money.

There presence on the field has a big difference on them they feel like they are being led on the field by a possible hall of famer is big that makes everybody play better because they signed there thinking that there good enough for this name to sign there.

Having that person sign there in hope of making the team better as a whole to round the team into a winning superteam.That player is good enough for you to spend the money on him or her that’s great they might lead your team it might not.

Sometimes signing a bigtime player may hurt your team.There are alot of times signing big players or many people is you may take a huge hit to your cap.Cap room is the amount of money you can spend on the team that year.So if you spend a ton of money during the free agency and then tha may mean that you won’t have enough money to sign your draft picks.Then the stadium and the workers and coaches have to be paid so there you go so you have to be smart with your money.

When you get these big players you won’t need these little guys who did the things one person can do so the smaller guys are not needed.So when people begin not to play much they want to leave because there is no spot for them on the team.It may not be the best signing destination for players that are free agents.So with that big name there other player may not want to sign there because there role will be diminished.so that big name can hurt you in many ways like taking to much money, taking away starting time,and make other players want to sign there so there is numerous ways that a big player may hurt your team.

There is a lot of ways that a big name player may help your team.The first one that comes to everyone’s mind is the possibility of the the rings and trophies coming to that team.Like when Jimmy Butler came to join the Minnesota Timberwolves he made and instant impact on the team.They are now in the playoffs against the “Houston Rockets”.When you have a big player on a team that means they might be pretty good so other big players who are looking for rings might go out and sign where your person is so that’s your city and get a big three.Like The Oklahoma Thunder they got Carmelo Anthony, and Paul George to create a big three and there now in the big three with Russell Westbrook.

When you have a big team people hop on the bandwagon.When your bandwagons packed full then you get the money from all the merchandise.So they are making money of players that they spent money on.
Players now have that have to move from fan base to another fanbase do have to put up with the other people disowning them and the new with all the hype to perform.So players now days have to put up with the city liking them and the community and the franchise liking them and that is a lot to carry on your shoulders when you play.

So sometimes players lead to money or no money.

So athletes can be under,over,or perfectly paid.There’s a lot that depends what they are paid.

Compared to the middle class they are paid well more than a 100 times more than the middle class which is a little much.In my mind I do think athletes are pretty overpaid.27 million dollars just to play what 16 games a year which is a little crazy.They should get paid the same as most americans not so much just to play a game little kids play for $120.NCAA players they get paid nothing so they play for the love of the game.They should get paid the same until they make the super bowl or the playoffs or something big not the regular season.Anybody can play threw the regular season.They are peak physical shape but people should want to be anyway.So to me are pro athletes overpaid to certain extent yes but they are working out all the time so I don’t know It’s not up to me to decide how much these average people thats the general managers on pro teams to decide not me. So  I’ve talked about how players can help and hurt the team and what the new players might bring to the franchise and the city.