Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard | Teen Ink

Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard

January 18, 2017
By mgummybear GOLD, Berwyn, Pennsylvania
mgummybear GOLD, Berwyn, Pennsylvania
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for.” John A. Shedd


Effort. The Oxford dictionary states it as the physical or mental energy that you need to do something. I believe that it is more than that. It is the burning desire that you have within you to change something. It is what you are willing to give up in order to reach your goal. It is when you come home every day tired, stressed, and completely exhausted but you still have a smile on your face because you know you did your best. It is when things don't go right and you fall down but you jump back up again just as fast. Effort is hard. It is not always preferable. But it is what creates champions.

My story starts with squash. In my opinion, one of the greatest sports of all time. I have played it since I was 4 years old. I love the feeling of being on a squash court, racket in hand, and playing the sport I love. But there is a story behind it.

I didn't always have the love and passion for squash that I do today. In fact it has taken almost half my life to develop the dedication I have. For six years I was dragged to practice and I stumbled through my solo drilling, lessons, and clinics because I didn't realize then that every single ball I hit and every sprint I ran would affect how well I did in tournaments. My thoughts were "what difference is one day going to make?" But days turn into weeks and weeks into months and months into years and before I knew it I was 6 years older and I still wasn't where I wanted to be. Somehow I expected to succeed without putting in the effort. When I didn't win I was frustrated with myself because I didn't know why I was losing. Everyone told me to work harder but I thought going to practice everyday and running through the motions was working hard. I didn't realize that you have to truly want to achieve your goal and you have to be willing to give up time and energy to achieve it.

 

At the end of my first season in girls under 13 I had an epiphany. I finally understood why I wasn't performing to my desired level. It was because I didn't know how to work hard. I didn't understand what it truly feels like to be completely tired out and exhausted but still not be satisfied with myself. Additionally, I was finishing my first year of middle school which was also full of hardships in terms of organizing myself and studying to a new level.

 

Through all of this, my thinking has changed greatly. I have trained harder than I ever have before and I am finally coming to terms with the meaning of effort. My main understanding was that talent gives you a head start but effort takes you to the next level. To achieve greatness you don't need just one. You need both. And through my experiences I have learned that possessing both is hard to achieve, but necessary.


The author's comments:

This is a This I Believe essay and I was inspired by my own competitive experiences.