Professional Sports... And What's Ruining Them | Teen Ink

Professional Sports... And What's Ruining Them

June 21, 2015
By Eric Gage BRONZE, Needham, Massachusetts
Eric Gage BRONZE, Needham, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Something has to be done about professional sports, what h?appened t?o them. They used to be fun to watch as a fan, but now, with all the problems, there is no enjoyment in watching professional sports as a fan.
One of the biggest problems in pro sports today is Advertisements. For example in professional football games, The Wall Street Journal f?ound that while a football game lasts on average, 3 hours 12 minutes, ads take up about half of that time. H?alf. T?hat’s 1 hour and 36 minutes. 96 minutes. 5,760 seconds. However you represent it, it’s a lot. This particular problem has made the game less fun to watch a?s a fan. W?ith all of the advertisements in professional sports you’re not even a fan of the sports as much as you’re a fan of the advertisements.


Another major problem with sports today is steroids. There are players in all 4 major sports that use steroids or PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs) according to PharmacyTechs.net t?hese are some of the most commonly used PEDs in professional sports today: Androstenedione (Muscle Builder), Human Growth Hormone (Used to Recover from Injuries), Amphetamines (Increase Focus and Energy), Stanozolol (Improve Endurance), Testosterone (Fat Reducer, Muscle Builder). The sport that PEDs have been the biggest problem for is baseball. In 2013 the MLB (Major League Baseball) cracked down on players using PEDs and suspended and/or fined more than 200 players for use of the drugs listed above. Some of the more infamous players on that list are: Melky Cabrera, Ryan Braun, and the most infamous on the list, Alex Rodriguez, also known as “A-Rod” or “A-R?oid”?. He earned this nickname by u s i n g “ H G H ” a n d “ T e s t o s t e r o n e ” a l s o k n o w n a s “ S t e r?o i d s . ”?T h e r e a r e 3 0 t e a m s i n t h e M L B . O n an MLB team there are 25 players. 30 teams x 25 players = 750 players in the MLB. 200 of those were found using steroids. That’s almost 27%! 2?7%!?That’s a problem! Not all pro athletes are even athletes anymore. They’re just people using PEDs to make themselves better! Practice is for making yourself better! Not PEDs!
O n e M A J O R p r o b l e m t h a t I? h? a v e w i t h p r o s p o r t s i s p r o f e s s i o n a l b a s e b a l l . P r o f e s s i o n a l baseball games are the most boring thing on television besides golf. G?olf! T?he average baseball game in 2014 took: 3 hours, 2 minutes, and 25 seconds. In only 1?8?of those minutes is there actual baseball action. Which means in 18 of 182 minutes is someone running, pitching, hitting or throwing, A.K.A. what we want to watch, going on. Again you have the same problem as before, you’re disappointed a?s a fan. Y?ou tune into a baseball game thinking you are going to watch some quality baseball and what do you get? Some guys in baseball pants and cleats walking around a field for 3 hours. Oh, there’s something else you get? Oh, right.

ADVERTISEMENTS!
My last major problem with professional sports in 2015 is that everything is about money. If a player has been with a team for 5 years, all the fans of that team love him, and he is a free agent and offered a little (well a little for them at least) more money by another team, they will desert their former team for money. For example, Jacoby Ellsbury, played for the Boston Red Sox for eight years. As soon as he was a free agent in 2013, he was offered a contract extension by the Red Sox: 5-yr, $130 Million, and he was also offered a contract by the New York Yankees: 7-yr, $150 Million. All of the fans in Boston loved Ellsbury, and of course he went with the money and signed with the New York Yankees.


Even though there are many bad things about professional sports in 2015, there are also lots of good things. Even though many players in professional sports aren’t true athletes, and they are using PEDs, there are also some true athletes. For one, Odell Beckham Jr., a 2?2 year-old?wide receiver for the New York Giants is, hands down, one of the best t?rue a?thletes in professional sports today. He not only has made catches diving backwards with only t?hree fingers!?He can also dunk a basketball on a regulation hoop, hit a homerun out of an MLB stadium, and kick a 5?5-yard field goal!?ODBJ (Odell Beckham Jr.) has shown us that you don’t need the help of PEDs to do amazing things in sports.


I think that professional sports need to stop turning a blind eye towards PEDs and advertisements and players loyalty to their teams n?ot m?oney. If people in power stop turning a blind eye to those things, then professional sports might return to the state where it was f?un to be a fan.