Female Football Player Rights | Teen Ink

Female Football Player Rights

August 16, 2010
By brokendreamer GOLD, Otis, Maine
brokendreamer GOLD, Otis, Maine
13 articles 0 photos 5 comments

I believe that the National Football League (NFL) and Colleges in the United states should discuss creating a professional football league and college league for women. Yes, girls can play football in high school and some play recreationally, but they should allow us to play in college and professionally also! Being a tomboy, I play football often during my daily school break, and find a lot of fun in the activity. I'm sure I speak for some of the female race when I state that it is unfair for us women not being able to play football professionally/in college by law!


As I stated earlier, I play football recreationally with a lot of the guys in my middle school. I am the only female to play the sport there, but I am also one of the best! I can throw a perfect spiral a good thirty yards, I can run faster than 98% of the guys in my middle school, and am one of the best recievers our teams have. I played flag football when I was in elementary school, and am considering playing in high school. But here's where I'm at a loss: Why play in high school if I can't continue to play in college and in my adult life AFTER college like I can in the other sports I participate in? There isn't a point. Which is also why I'm stressing the fact that the NFL and colleges nation wide should hear me out. I think it would be worth while, and would NOT be a waste of our time and money. I can only assume this, but a lot of women out of the American population do play football, and some may want to play professionally, me being one of the main contenders. So, can someone PLEASE tell me, why CAN'T we play?


The author's comments:
I wrote this because I feel us women have just as much of a right to play football as men do.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 82 comments.


blindguy24 said...
on Oct. 22 2014 at 10:30 am
Ok, look, so I am all about sports. I'm all about girls playing sports and people playing sports. When it comes to football though that is a guys sport. I know some girls might be faster than some guys but girls cannot get as strong as guys can. You might be able to play in jr high and maybe even the high school level but when you start talking college ball guys hit and they hit hard. Guys literally train all year round just to hit people as hard as they can. Girls cannot get as strong as guys. this has been proven. When it comes ot getting hit by a guy who is 200 or more pounds with him running full speed then it's just a brutal hit. there is the physical and emotional aspect of it as well. there is just so much going on and girls don't have aonetrack mind. Guys have a one track mind. We can focus on the situation and the then and now. It's a guys sport and it is as simple as that.

Kay.P said...
on May. 18 2014 at 6:15 am
Same I agree its not fair we should be allowed to play soccer professionally as a career. I love soccer and play for my team too :)

bay_JP SILVER said...
on Mar. 31 2014 at 10:37 pm
bay_JP SILVER, San Francisco, California
5 articles 1 photo 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be yourself. Everybody else is already taken.

Well written, persuasive as well. I'm a guy and TOTALLY support you and think if girls can play, let them play. I remember seeing some obscure female football league on TV but not sure if it's even still up. Good luck with this issue!

on Feb. 21 2014 at 11:49 pm
Luxy_Reese PLATINUM, Grand Forks, North Dakota
26 articles 3 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

Woah woah woah there.  First of all, have you seen some the dives and risks girls take in volleyball?  Have you seen professional womens soccer in the OLYMPICS?  My point is that men and women are equal in basically all sports except football.  Women are technically allowed to try out and participate in men's sports in high school and college, assuming said school wants to avoid a lawsuit.  History has shown us that women will push forward and play what we want when we want.  Keep it up ladies, and don't be afraid to go out for the team kid!  Do what you love!

Bones96 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 2 2014 at 1:00 pm
Bones96 BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 108 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life isn't about finding yourself it's about creating yourself-

Well I felt the writing was a bit weak and a little conflicting. And I say that because I don't understand weither your point is to get a female team in college/NFL football or to have women on the team.  I personally I care much for football but I have wondered why there wasn't a female team. As for women on a team it is simple. Physically women are not as strong men. Not to say women are weak becuse that isn't true. But on say an NFL team it won't matter how much padding you have the male players will be bigger and stronger.  Also I don't be this is a matter of law. There isn't any thing telling saying you can start your own team. You also said "why play in high school if you can't continue to play in college and your adult life." My question is why not? You can continue to play maybe not as a career. I think the true meaning of sports is just having a good time and learning to work and be apart of a team.  As a side note professional sports players get paid WAY to much.

@ikkeyohio said...
on Nov. 10 2013 at 12:27 am
so you're saying girls are weaker than boys?

on Sep. 9 2013 at 12:35 pm
this is cool because i to want to play football but cant and that makes me very upset so  go for it and dont let anything stop you.

pierre said...
on May. 14 2013 at 11:38 am
ok that is good to say

Kimmy said...
on Nov. 28 2012 at 7:01 pm
what if the girl can take a hit? things could even get broken, big deal. not every girl is a lil wimp when it comes to manly things. i think you need to think twice.

bill greys said...
on Nov. 26 2012 at 9:36 am
bill greys, Goose Creek, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
YOU SUCK!!!!

bill greys said...
on Nov. 26 2012 at 9:35 am
bill greys, Goose Creek, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
if your coaches say yall are alll good then your team is terrible. girls have powderpuff football, softball, volleyball and cheerleading they can all do. girls shouldnt be allowed because you wold complain about getting hit to hard. so stay with your own sport

Moniz said...
on Nov. 6 2012 at 9:57 pm
Moniz, Selah, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"A broken heart is like broken ribs. You can\'t see the damage, but every breath hurts.\"
-Unknown

I'm a girl and I've been playing football for three years now. I'm very good too. My couch says I'm one of thebest on my teams, and they want to see me go to at least the high school level. So, I agree with you! Males aren't better than us! If anything we're better then them. 

Quaker said...
on Nov. 13 2011 at 3:26 am
that is really dissapointing, i hope someone comrs to there sense and offers you a scholarship

Quaker said...
on Nov. 13 2011 at 3:19 am
there have been kickers on college teams that were girlsincluding d-1 by title XI you are allowed legally to play both in college and professionally. not to say that would be easy or likely to happen, but it is legal.

trejames03 said...
on Apr. 8 2011 at 1:46 pm
trejames03, Tacoma, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I agrre with this! But you should play in highschool. Im a senior right now who played for four years and will play four more years in college, and high school ball created the best times of my life. Even if you cant play later in life, dont let that stop you from playing now. Only about 10 percent of the people who play football go on to college anyways, and my friends who are not going on still say that they do not regret what so ever playing when they could.

on Jan. 10 2011 at 5:50 pm
11coreya SILVER, Fullerton, California
6 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game" Babe Ruth

Also you say you are faster and a good reciever, and I bet you're right, but that does not mean you are able to take hits that grown 200+ pound men dish out

on Jan. 10 2011 at 2:35 pm
XxWhisperMeTruthxX BRONZE, Limington, Maine
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Tis but a flesh wound!!

I have played football my hwole life and I was actually scouted in eight grade to play on the highschool JV team. Once I was in highschool, I was the star running back and the MVP for two years. That's where I am now and I even have college scouts looking at me for college ball. They told me it probably won;t happen though just because I'm a girl. It makes me so angry because it is my favorite thing to do. Equality under law?!? I DON'T THINK SO!!

on Nov. 27 2010 at 3:54 pm
SkyDeer PLATINUM, Mebane, North Carolina
20 articles 19 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
Respect the nerds, they will be your boss someday- The Computer Guy.
The best is yet to come and baby won't it be fine- A band.
Defiant is the best word in the dictionary!

I agree even through I don't play football I'm a bit of a tomboy.

Mojo1 said...
on Sep. 28 2010 at 10:06 am
Mojo1, Housing, West Virginia
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"don't Let the door hit you on the way out"

I totally agree! I am a female and i play for my school's team. I think girls can play too. It might be a little weird at first but i got used to playing football with 14 boys. Im sure someday they will. Some colleges have football teams for girls. I think its fine for girls to play.

on Sep. 9 2010 at 11:58 am
KiKi_2011 BRONZE, Lynn, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You gotta dance like no one's watching, dream like you'll live forever, live like you're going to die tomorrow, and love like it's never going to hurt."

pretty much the only way for women to get noticed playing football is if thy were EXTREMLY awesome or the were playing in next to nothing like in an episode of CSI:New York. Can you say DEGRADING??!!