Female Football Player Rights | Teen Ink

Female Football Player Rights

By brokendreamer GOLD, Otis, Maine
brokendreamer GOLD, Otis, Maine

I believe that the National Football League (NFL) and Colleges in the United states should discuss creating a professional football league and college league for women. Yes, girls can play football in high school and some play recreationally, but they should allow us to play in college and professionally also! Being a tomboy, I play football often during my daily school break, and find a lot of fun in the activity. I'm sure I speak for some of the female race when I state that it is unfair for us women not being able to play football professionally/in college by law!

As I stated earlier, I play football recreationally with a lot of the guys in my middle school. I am the only female to play the sport there, but I am also one of the best! I can throw a perfect spiral a good thirty yards, I can run faster than 98% of the guys in my middle school, and am one of the best recievers our teams have. I played flag football when I was in elementary school, and am considering playing in high school. But here's where I'm at a loss: Why play in high school if I can't continue to play in college and in my adult life AFTER college like I can in the other sports I participate in? There isn't a point. Which is also why I'm stressing the fact that the NFL and colleges nation wide should hear me out. I think it would be worth while, and would NOT be a waste of our time and money. I can only assume this, but a lot of women out of the American population do play football, and some may want to play professionally, me being one of the main contenders. So, can someone PLEASE tell me, why CAN'T we play?

I wrote this because I feel us women have just as much of a right to play football as men do.

on Feb. 21 2014 at 11:49 pm
Luxy_Reese PLATINUM, Grand Forks, North Dakota

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

Woah woah woah there.  First of all, have you seen some the dives and risks girls take in volleyball?  Have you seen professional womens soccer in the OLYMPICS?  My point is that men and women are equal in basically all sports except football.  Women are technically allowed to try out and participate in men's sports in high school and college, assuming said school wants to avoid a lawsuit.  History has shown us that women will push forward and play what we want when we want.  Keep it up ladies, and don't be afraid to go out for the team kid!  Do what you love!

Bones96 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 2 2014 at 1:00 pm
Bones96 BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

Life isn't about finding yourself it's about creating yourself-

Well I felt the writing was a bit weak and a little conflicting. And I say that because I don't understand weither your point is to get a female team in college/NFL football or to have women on the team.  I personally I care much for football but I have wondered why there wasn't a female team. As for women on a team it is simple. Physically women are not as strong men. Not to say women are weak becuse that isn't true. But on say an NFL team it won't matter how much padding you have the male players will be bigger and stronger.  Also I don't be this is a matter of law. There isn't any thing telling saying you can start your own team. You also said "why play in high school if you can't continue to play in college and your adult life." My question is why not? You can continue to play maybe not as a career. I think the true meaning of sports is just having a good time and learning to work and be apart of a team.  As a side note professional sports players get paid WAY to much.

@ikkeyohio said...
on Nov. 10 2013 at 12:27 am
so you're saying girls are weaker than boys?

on Sep. 9 2013 at 12:35 pm
this is cool because i to want to play football but cant and that makes me very upset so  go for it and dont let anything stop you.

pierre said...
on May. 14 2013 at 11:38 am
ok that is good to say

Kimmy said...
on Nov. 28 2012 at 7:01 pm
what if the girl can take a hit? things could even get broken, big deal. not every girl is a lil wimp when it comes to manly things. i think you need to think twice.

bill greys said...
on Nov. 26 2012 at 9:36 am
bill greys, Goose Creek, Pennsylvania
YOU SUCK!!!!

bill greys said...
on Nov. 26 2012 at 9:35 am
bill greys, Goose Creek, Pennsylvania
if your coaches say yall are alll good then your team is terrible. girls have powderpuff football, softball, volleyball and cheerleading they can all do. girls shouldnt be allowed because you wold complain about getting hit to hard. so stay with your own sport

Moniz said...
on Nov. 6 2012 at 9:57 pm
Moniz, Selah, Washington

\"A broken heart is like broken ribs. You can\'t see the damage, but every breath hurts.\"
-Unknown

I'm a girl and I've been playing football for three years now. I'm very good too. My couch says I'm one of thebest on my teams, and they want to see me go to at least the high school level. So, I agree with you! Males aren't better than us! If anything we're better then them. 

Quaker said...
on Nov. 13 2011 at 3:26 am
that is really dissapointing, i hope someone comrs to there sense and offers you a scholarship

Quaker said...
on Nov. 13 2011 at 3:19 am
there have been kickers on college teams that were girlsincluding d-1 by title XI you are allowed legally to play both in college and professionally. not to say that would be easy or likely to happen, but it is legal.

trejames03 said...
on Apr. 8 2011 at 1:46 pm
trejames03, Tacoma, Washington
I agrre with this! But you should play in highschool. Im a senior right now who played for four years and will play four more years in college, and high school ball created the best times of my life. Even if you cant play later in life, dont let that stop you from playing now. Only about 10 percent of the people who play football go on to college anyways, and my friends who are not going on still say that they do not regret what so ever playing when they could.

on Jan. 10 2011 at 5:50 pm
11coreya SILVER, Fullerton, California

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game" Babe Ruth

Also you say you are faster and a good reciever, and I bet you're right, but that does not mean you are able to take hits that grown 200+ pound men dish out

on Jan. 10 2011 at 2:35 pm
XxWhisperMeTruthxX BRONZE, Limington, Maine

"Tis but a flesh wound!!

I have played football my hwole life and I was actually scouted in eight grade to play on the highschool JV team. Once I was in highschool, I was the star running back and the MVP for two years. That's where I am now and I even have college scouts looking at me for college ball. They told me it probably won;t happen though just because I'm a girl. It makes me so angry because it is my favorite thing to do. Equality under law?!? I DON'T THINK SO!!

on Nov. 27 2010 at 3:54 pm
SkyDeer PLATINUM, Mebane, North Carolina

Respect the nerds, they will be your boss someday- The Computer Guy.
The best is yet to come and baby won't it be fine- A band.
Defiant is the best word in the dictionary!

I agree even through I don't play football I'm a bit of a tomboy.

Mojo1 said...
on Sep. 28 2010 at 10:06 am
Mojo1, Housing, West Virginia

"don't Let the door hit you on the way out"

I totally agree! I am a female and i play for my school's team. I think girls can play too. It might be a little weird at first but i got used to playing football with 14 boys. Im sure someday they will. Some colleges have football teams for girls. I think its fine for girls to play.

on Sep. 9 2010 at 11:58 am
KiKi_2011 BRONZE, Lynn, Indiana

"You gotta dance like no one's watching, dream like you'll live forever, live like you're going to die tomorrow, and love like it's never going to hurt."

pretty much the only way for women to get noticed playing football is if thy were EXTREMLY awesome or the were playing in next to nothing like in an episode of CSI:New York. Can you say DEGRADING??!!

on Sep. 5 2010 at 4:55 pm
Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado

"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

Sadly, I have to agree with earlybird. Unfortunatly, many sports people aren't into the sport so much as the sensless violence. I think it's totally unfair that women don't have a professional league, but it wouldn't bring in half the money.

on Aug. 26 2010 at 11:59 pm
earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You raise a good point, but the sad fact is that female football players don't bring in as much money as their male counterparts for the corporations that sponsor their teams. This is because the people who watch football (guys, for the most part) are not interested in seeing women play, because they don't have the same muscle mass that can send an opponent hurling into the ground, so there is less senseless violence. It's the same in most female sports (notable exceptions being ones where women don't wear many clothes). This is unfortunate, but true.