Untamed: The Spirit of the Horse | Teen Ink

Untamed: The Spirit of the Horse

October 5, 2009
By xxthiskidxx BRONZE, Oakville, Other
xxthiskidxx BRONZE, Oakville, Other
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

We consider them our playthings. Our servants. We think that we can control them. Never have we ever considered how the world works behind their eyes. We treat them like pets, wanting them to do whatever we want them to. We expect them to respect us by compressing their wild soul.

Boy, are we mistaken.

They were once free, untamed by humans, uncontaminated by modern trash. Over the hills they raced, running as one, flying over the rough ground. They worked as one. Never did they have to listen to the reprimands of a human; never did they hear the sound of a car, or a voice other than their own. Never did they smell the scent of a trapped life. Never did they have to act on command, do fancy movements. They never had anything to fear other than natural predators. They lived, ate, slept, bred, found shelter, and protected themselves on their own, without human help. They could find food and water by instinct. Their natural, wild instinct took care of them.
Not anymore.

Humans have interfered with their lifestyle. We have destroyed their homeland. We turned it into housing and shops and roads. All for the sake of money. People kill these proud creatures for money. For them, it’s like being taken from their homes and abandoned in a place where none of them can fight to survive. Their instincts cannot help them in the fight against humans. They are made helpless in human hands.

Some, however, welcome human company. They form a partnership with us. They let us be their leader, letting us take on the role of leader. Nothing can stop you when you have that feeling. The feeling of being one with the animal. Two spirits blending into one. Blurred together. Don’t ever let it go. It’s too strong to let go, too powerful to ignore. They help you through tough times. They always are there for extra support no matter what. They always offer a shoulder to lean on. They can tell when something is wrong.

They can become upset themselves. If they are left for long, they can become bored and depressed. Standing all alone, not bothering to interact with others. Watching the world go by. Waiting, hoping that maybe, just maybe they will be remembered or that their owner will come back. Watching others come and go, reminded of the old days. Slowly the hope fades from their eyes and they become withdrawn, the spark gone. Until they are reunited once again. The joy that will be felt and shared between them, as they have a bond that can never be broken. It can never be lost.

How people could treat these creatures so poorly is beyond me. Never should something that gives so much to us be rewarded with cruelty. Some of them spend a life just giving and giving, and what are THEY given in return? Neglect, pain and no love. People think they are just tools, use once or whenever they were in style then just toss them away. Well it’s not like that.

Some however, are taken in from the places where they suffer. Rescues will take them in and give them back the life that they lost when they were cast away. They are then given all the love and care that they should have gotten in the first place. But sometimes love and determination is not enough. Not all of these poor creatures survive being so carelessly discarded. Their time on earth is shortened, as their life torn from them before they can experience what life should be like.

Tricks, fancy manuovers, collection, extention, lateral, what are these? are they natural? We ask them to do these things to look good, to win, and juts because we can. These are not natural for them. you wouldnt see a sidepass in the wild.everything we do with them is unnatural. we dont listen to them. we charge ahead with all our ideas and plans for OUR success. What can we get them to do so we look good and get famous? some of the things we ask for are natural; we ask them to perform their own way. but we never seem to listen. Running them in a circle, or making them jump barrels or obstacles, thats not natural. i dont care what you say. its unnatural.

We need to listen to them. We try to understand them. We need to stop shouting nonsense that they dont understand and start speaking to them in a langauge they can understand. They dont know what we say. We have to talk to them, not in our language but in theirs. The silent language.

I care for these creatures and they should never be thrown away. They provide companionship, love, a shoulder to lean on, a listener for all your problems, and the greatest friendship you could ask for. They should be treated with the respect they deserve. They need to be spoken to as an equal, not a lesser being. For they are so much more than we are. They can run with the wind. They can speak without words. They can surivive on their own. They can fly wihtout winds. But above all, they can see the world as it should be. Not as we have created it. But as it should be. Free of death, destruction, the scent of the earth filling our senses, light shining on our backs, clean pure air, crystal waters and untamed spirit.

They will never be broken. Never be fully tamed. And we should respect them. respect them for their wildness, for their spirit. And cherish every moment spent with these awesome animals. For each and every touch, ride, sound and second spent with them is precious. We need to treat them as the beings they are.

This is my story for I am a human that cares.

The author's comments:
These creatures are my life. It hurts to see how people can be so ignorant to their beauty and to their spirit. i want people to see what it means to be a horse lover, i want people to realize how horribly some people treat these amazing animals and use them like disposible toys. they are the gateway to our freedom.