The Heart of the Washington Wizards | Teen Ink

The Heart of the Washington Wizards

By carterhsueh BRONZE, Potomac, Maryland
carterhsueh BRONZE, Potomac, Maryland

Thomas Bryant throws down an emphatic dunk, flying over the opposing team’s defense. He’s pumping his arms up and down in the air with his palms up, celebrating by raising the roof. His enthusiasm has the entire bench riled up, mimicking his boastful roof-raising. He may have just brought life into the lifeless corpse of a team that is the Washington Wizards, but he’s still shaking his head upset at the fact that he didn’t get a foul called.

“I’m a perfectionist,” he remarks, “my mindset is never mess up. Never make a mistake.” To the uninitiated, this would probably sound like a description of a 10-year NBA veteran who’s the star of their team. Although he is certainly a star, he’s not quite the typical wise basketball player that you would imagine. So if you haven’t watched a Wizards game in a while, you might be wondering who in the world is that 6 foot 11, boyish-looking player.

Thomas Bryant, currently in his Sophomore year of the NBA, is a Rochester, New York native who attended Indiana University. On June 22, 2017, Bryant was drafted 42nd overall by the Utah Jazz and subsequently traded along with the 30th pick (Josh Hart) to the Los Angeles Lakers.

As a Laker, Thomas Bryant hardly had any role with the team. Averaging 4.8 minutes per game, Bryant had no opportunities to succeed. With no use for him on the Lakers, the organization assigned him to their G League affiliate, which is essentially a step down from the best-of-the-best in the NBA. Although playing in the G League was a downgrade from playing in the competitive NBA, Bryant got the most of his new opportunity making the All-NBA G League First Team. Regardless of his G League success, however, the Los Angeles Lakers cut Thomas Bryant on June 30, 2018.
On July 2, 2018, with much skepticism from fans, Bryant was claimed off the waivers by the Washington Wizards. At the beginning of the season, the team expected Bryant to play a limited role. The coach, Scott Brooks, had three other proven centers to play over him. But as injuries began piling up at the center position, Brooks gave the eager young player a chance at the starting slot. In 43 games started this year, Bryant’s averaged 19.1 minutes, 9.7 points, 5.7 rebounds, and 1.2 assists per game.
"I've been surprised," Brooks said earlier in December. “Our development guys have developed him. Now he's playing good minutes and starting. He probably wouldn't have said he would be a starter if you'd asked him a month ago, two months ago.” Two months ago, Bryant was still just the lowly benchwarmer who nobody knew. If you don’t recognize him now, imagine how unheard-of he was a few months ago. “But he's earned these minutes” Brooks explains, “I thought his energy, and his effort, and his enthusiasm, you can see it, every time down court, everybody cheers for him." And he’s right. Although he has posted solid numbers for a starting center, it’s easy for those statistics to go right over your head. What’s important about Thomas Bryant is the energy he brings to every game. In an organization full of lackluster players, a pumped-up guy like Thomas Bryant is much needed.

Throughout the beginning of the year, the Wizards had numerous low-energy moments. Just take a look at star point guard John Wall seemingly “glitch out” during a game against the Rockets. Wall gazed off into the stands as he remained unfazed by the play going on around him for more than 10 seconds. Once Thomas Bryant began seeing consistent playing time, however, things changed for the better.

Take his game on December 22 against the Phoenix Suns, for example. It was one of the most electrifying games the Wizards played this entire year. With a final score of 149 to 146 in triple overtime, it wasn’t the Wizards finally coming away with a win that stood out: it was Bryant’s unbelievable performance. He achieved something that hadn’t been done in nearly a quarter century. Thomas Bryant ended up going a perfect 14 for 14 from the floor in the Wizards’ victory, something that only 4 other players in NBA history have done. In his first real season in the NBA, Bryant joined the ranks of Gary Payton, Bailey Howell, Billy McKinney, and Wilt Chamberlain, some of the best players to have ever been in the league.

In the first play of the game, Bryant perfectly executes a pick-and-roll, sliding towards the basket, and throwing the ball in with his left hand. He stares into the crowd for a few seconds as he yells “AND ONE” before quickly hustling back on defense. His energy right from the get-go could be felt throughout Capital One Arena. There was no denying that Bryant was pumped up already.

The Wizards were up at 142-141 with one minute and twenty-five seconds left on the clock. The Wizards’ franchise player, Bradley Beal, brings the ball down the court and is immediately swallowed up by two Phoenix defenders, causing him to lose the ball. The team-player Tomas Satoransky dives for the loose ball tapping it back to Beal from the ground. Beal finds the cutting Thomas Bryant as he flies into the paint. He punches the ball in the hoop, falling to the ground after his tremendous play. All the way down the stretch in the third overtime, his spirited presence still radiated through every fan, riling up the crowd.

He may have put the Wizards in the lead that won them the game, but he still muttered to himself, mad at the fact that he didn’t get the foul in addition to the bucket. Nonetheless, the Wizards came away with a victory.
“Ever since [Brooks] decided to start him, it’s been infinite energy," Beal explains in an interview in early December. "I love playing with him, he’s one of my favorite young guys on the team. His work ethic is crazy. He and Troy [Brown Jr.] are always the first ones in the gym. I just tell him to stay humble and continue to take advantage of his opportunities. A year ago he wasn’t even in this position, now he’s starting. That’s amazing in itself.” Beals high praise of Bryant was echoed by all of his teammates and coaching staff. And it’s certainly not surprising given the way he’s been playing.

It’s been a few months since Bryant’s record-breaking night against the Suns. The Wizards have since undergone numerous changes in personnel, including trading for another center to take Bryant’s starting center position. Although it isn’t quite what fans and experts may have wanted, Bryant still finds ways to contribute in big ways. It’s not about the numbers that he puts up, but instead, it’s about the energy he brings to the table.

In an organization riddled with a history of unmotivated players, Thomas Bryant is needed more now than ever. His energy keeps the team flowing and excited to play. As a young player, the Wizards’ culture can begin to build around what he brings to every game. His passion. His perseverance. His work ethic. And his perfectionist nature.

As one of the Wizards’ analysts commented, “this is what you love about Thomas Bryant. He always wants more.”

Work Cited:
Buckner, Candace. “Thomas Bryant's Historic Breakout Was the Result of Years of Chasing Perfection.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 24 Dec. 2018.“MVP Lorenzo Brown Headlines 2017-18 All-NBA G League First Team.” NBA G League.
Rprimeaux. “Lakers Waive Thomas Bryant.” Los Angeles Lakers, NBA/Lakers, 30 June 2018.
“Thomas Bryant Is Making the Most of His Opportunity With the Wizards.” Washington City Paper.
“Thomas Bryant Stats.” ESPN, ESPN Internet Ventures.
“Wizards' Thomas Bryant Has a Game for the Record Books.” AP NEWS, Associated Press, 23 Dec. 2018.

This article was inspired by the numerous ups-and-downs that the Washington Wizards have faced this year.