I Want To Hear It Rain In Here | Teen Ink

I Want To Hear It Rain In Here

December 12, 2018
By sammbarragn SILVER, Hemet, California
sammbarragn SILVER, Hemet, California
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do everything in love.


Wrestling keeps me on my toes. Literally and figuratively. I feel a sense of belonging at wrestling practice. Even though I certainly do not act or talk like any other person on the team. We are all there essentially for one goal and one purpose. Although along the way, some of us get side-tracked. Around 10 of us are there to be the best that we possibly can. Another 15 are there to have fun. The last five are there because they simply have no choice. We all know what it is like to win. We certainly know what it is like to lose. I remember the first time I wrestled, it felt like everyone was watching only me. Because I’m a girl. I automatically had something to prove because I was born a female. That didn’t stop me. My very first practice, it felt like I could breathe for the first time. I learned one move, and I did it on anyone who went against me because it was all that I knew. I won everyone that I went against. To everyone it was a major shock. They could not believe that I was beating kids who had wrestled for years before me. But it was not a shock to my dad. You see my dad is an elite level wrestling coach. He has coached guys who don’t know anything about wrestling, molded them, and turned them into champions. He can see when someone is a natural.  But the thing about my dad is that he didn’t want me to wrestle. He was against it completely. Even though it was one of the things that he loved most. Even though he put 50% of his time into wrestling. He wouldn't budge. My mother had to convince him. Which is crazy because usually moms do not want for their daughters to get hurt. My longing for wrestling overthrew my dad’s popular beliefs. Since the beginning, wrestling has been a struggle. I think that is why I love it so much. No matter how good you are, there is always someone better. No matter how hard you work, they is always someone working harder. No matter how long you have done it, someone is always working harder. There is a never- ending paradox. It may sound scary to many, but I love it. As far as rain, we do fast feet. Which is where you move your feet, as fast as you can, in a stance, until you're allowed to stop. No matter how long you do it, you are sure to get tired. The numb feeling once you stop. All of the sweat that sparks off as you shake. Hearing everyone else's shoes pound the mat, making it sound like rain. It is a constant reminder of the drive I have for this sport.