Why Do High Schools Struggle to Fill Their Football Rosters? | Teen Ink

Why Do High Schools Struggle to Fill Their Football Rosters?

By Villiami SILVER, Sacramento, California
Villiami SILVER, Sacramento, California

"stars cant shine without darkness"

High school football is very important to many people. People see it as ways out of the hood, or to make money and make their families happy. As you can see it's a very good understanding why most youth play football.

I played football ever since I was a little kid and I still play. Most people stop or pull their children out of football because of many injuries. Especially, head injuries like concussions or repeated blows to the head. But, me I still play, football is a manly sport so injuries are very common to the game. I've experienced a concussion before, it wasn't so great when I had one. But, that didn't stop me from playing.

Many high schools or youth football teams are losing players. Why? Because parents pulled their children out not wanting to risk it for their children when they get older so they don't have serious injuries. The most common and dangerous injury in football are concussions. To many concussions can cause to many other diseases in life. Can cause depression, suicide, and the degenerative disease or maybe even more.

I can understand why people are afraid to play football again. What can I say it's a manly sport. But, the degenerative disease is very serious. This disease means you've had repeated blows to the head. For example, former Hall of Fame linebacker Junior Seau was found dead in his home. He had the degenerative disease, as his years in football he had gotten repeated blows to the head, leading him to commit suicide because had suffered head injuries. Another example, are football players in the NFL now. Many players are started to retire from the NFL because of serious head injuries. One way you can dodge that bullet is not hitting with your head, hitting with your head causes you to injure yourself. Why would you want that? The NFL is working on making football a safer sport by teaching players how to wrap up, instead of using there head. Others may say football is becoming a “soft sport” but, you can't blame them for worrying about the players safety leading to concussions and much more.

As you can see there are many reasons why football rosters is very difficult to fill. People still play and dont care about the injuries because “The grind dont stop”, as most youth would say. But, others play it smart and wouldn't want to risk their future. We all understand football isn't such a safe sport but, what can you do if you don't have much but, football? Most kids only have football to make money, unless you want to be a drug dealer that would end up behind bars or killed, so they choose the smart way.

This is about many football players getting serious head injuries. Im a former football player.