The Trip of a Lifetime | Teen Ink

The Trip of a Lifetime

July 13, 2018
By Marco0514 BRONZE, North Reading, Massachusetts
Marco0514 BRONZE, North Reading, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

As I know it I am on a plane to go to the most romantic place in the world, Italy. The thought is amazing, eating every second of every day with the best cooks and the best pizza. Then it hits me, I am about to play baseball in Italy. The thought is overwhelming, I am lost with words and don’t know how to explain it. I hear the pilot say over the speaker “Thank you for choosing Iberia Airlines this is your captain speaking, this will be a 9-hour flight.” I think to myself, “oh crap I am going to be sitting here for 9 hours!” All of a sudden, I hear the engine roar and the plane start to get into position to take off. At this point I am having a heart attack and my feet are melted to the floor.

We finally get up in the air and I calm down like nothing ever happens. I have my computer, so I start watching a movie and the next thing I know we land in Rome, Italy. As I get off the plane I think to myself “Finally done with traveling” But I spoke too soon. My dad pulls me over and tells me we have to get back on a plane and go another 2 hours to get to Milan, Italy. I dread it but I have to do what I have to do. The flight flies by and we land in the Milan airport. I am exhausted and not ready what we have next, we board a bus and drive 2 hours to a small town where the tournament is held. We arrive at the hotel and the whole team is super excited we find our room and get set up for the week. My dad directs everyone to meet down in the lobby in 5 minuets.

We walk down to the complex to check the field and it’s a nice field. We decide on have a little practice while we are here to get the feel what it’s like playing on the field and in a foreign place. Next, we have dinner and finish for the night getting ready for the opening ceremony the next day. Day one of the tournament has arrives and I am super excited. We go to the field dressed in our uniforms getting ready to walk in a parade through the streets essentially meeting at a big field to kick off the tournament.

            Game one is here, and I am nervous. I have no idea what kind of baseball is played in Italy and I was just about to find out. Its finally game time and the atmosphere are overwhelming. It’s hot windy and there’s a smell of food everywhere. The umpire orders us to take the field and get ready to play. Fortunately, we are the home team. I am the starting second basemen and the dirt is soft like a pillow. That’s my favorite type of clay. Every ground ball will be true and there will be no such things as bad hop. The first pitch is underway and “CRACK” the ball is hit my way. I field it and make the play. I think “That was easy. Just like I am at home it’s the same game” That’s the type of mentality to have because it really is the same game I have always played no difference.

The game concludes, we end up winning 7-2. We are off to a great start. The tournament goes by and we come out undefeated. The championship game is two games away. We win the first game of the series and we advance to the championship game. The whole team is in shock. We are going against the best team in the tournament “besides us of course.” The game is underway, and we are doing strong I am currently batting 2-2 today and have made all the plays in the field. It’s the last inning and we are winning 3-2 and we are at our final out. The opposing team has a man on second and third and they just need one run to tie the game. Once again, I am at second base and my heart is in my mouth. My heart is beating like a base drum in a rock and roll concert. The pitch is thrown, I hear the crack of the bat and all of a sudden time goes into slow motion. All I can see is the ball and all I can hear is the ball hitting every single blade of grass. The ball rockets up the middle. My instincts kick in and next thing I remember I am on the ground with the ball in my glove. I get to my knees and throw it. When I threw this ball, it took every bit of energy out of me. The throw gets there. I look at the umpire and at the moment it feels like he is taken forever. I hold my breath. “He’s out” The umpire screamed, my heart jumped out of me and everyone started cheering. “I have just made this play” I repeat to myself over and over again.

The Boston team have just won a championship overseas. The fans rush the field for pictures and congratulations.

We get back to the hotel later that night getting ready to make our voyage home. The next morning arrives and I am about to board the plane to finally get home. I reflect on my experience and I am grateful and lucky to have played for such an amazing team and to play in the best place in the world.