Importance of Christ in Christmas | Teen Ink

Importance of Christ in Christmas

By EmilyToruno BRONZE, Arabi, Louisiana
EmilyToruno BRONZE, Arabi, Louisiana

The importance of the Christmas season has been misconstrued over the years. Christmas season once celebrated the birth of the savior, Jesus Christ, but it has now become a frantic rush to buy the best presents and have the most elaborate decorations. People often forget the symbolic meaning behind their Christmas traditions. As people buy materialistic gifts for one another, they do not stop to think of the gifts Jesus received. The three-wise man brought Jesus gold, frankincense, and myrrh to celebrate his arrival. Families spend time trying to pick the perfect tree, and after they bring it home and place an elegant star or angel on top. Little do they know that the star represents the northern star that the wise man followed to meet baby Jesus. The angel represents the herald of angels that sang above the stable when Jesus was born. The nativity scene is not meant to be an elaborate piece of decoration, but rather a remembrance of Jesus’ birth. In conclusion, the relevance behind Christmas traditions is often forgotten by people today. People have become so caught up in the materialistic aspects of Christmas such as buying the perfect gifts or having the best decorations that they forget the true meaning of Christmas- celebrating the birth of Jesus. In order to bring the true meaning of Christmas back into the world, people should remember what Christmas is truly about as they prepare for the festivities.