Life As A Muslim American | Teen Ink

Life As A Muslim American

By osmanosman2 BRONZE, Srone Mountain, Georgia
osmanosman2 BRONZE, Srone Mountain, Georgia

I will never forget Thursday, January 5th, 2012...

It was just a regular day just like any other day. I woke up tired because I had overslept. I got up went to the bathroom and started brushing my teeth after, I got in the shower the water was cold at first
but then changed to a soothing warm. I got out got dressed and went downstairs ate my regular pancakes and milk, thinking it was going to be a normal day I hear on the news that some guy killed someone and apparently just because he was Muslim he is a terrorist, while watching the news mom yells “hey can you go pick up some supplies” I head to the store because my mom told me to pick up some milk, bread, and peanut butter, I waited like five minutes then headed to the store. At the store I noticed something was off, people were staring at me, some making slight comments that were targeted towards me, I paid no attention to the comments and found everything I was looking for, I had to check out this guy comes up to me and quietly whispers: “hey there terrorist so what type of bomb are you going to make out of that.” I reply already irritated with, “fathead sorry but it's not a bomb, I'm just bringing some supplies to your mom so she can make me a sandwich later.” the guy looked pissed, but I held my ground and bought my food. I head to the car and notice this guy was following behind me I quickly step into my vehicle and drive away.

After leaving the store parking lot I notice a black, dusty Honda following me. Every left turn I took they took, every right turn I took they took. I thought maybe we were just going the same way. It's been going on like this for the past six minutes, now I'm getting worried, I see a median up ahead and make a U-turn, they make a U-turn as well, now I'm scared I start to speed up a little and the first few thoughts that started to race in my mind were to not let this man find out where I live and to try and get away.

I reach for my phone and try and call the police when I dropped the phone but luckily it did not go under the chair I pick it up and explain that someone was following me they asked for my location and I gave it to them after two minutes I come up to a red light and less the a second BAM! he rear ends my car. I step out of my car and the guy comes out as well, he tells me “what now terrorist” I did not know what to say so I remained quiet and took a picture of his tag thinking “ this guy is a dumbass.” The police show up shortly after and give him a ticket. I explained what happened and after he hears both sides he places him under arrest apparently he had a search warrant on him. I did not care about why he got arrested I just wanted to get home. For anyone reading this I just wanted to point out that there are good and bad people in every race and religion and that the media likes to group people together and make things seem worse than what they are, What I recommend is to do your own research and always have a clean mind and stand strong, for change will always come to the patient.

Sincerely, Osman

just something that really happened to me and i wanted to share it.