Pursuing Your Dream | Teen Ink

Pursuing Your Dream

January 1, 2016
By Anonymous

We all have something we are passionate about; something that sparks a flame within the inner parts of our soul. It’s the reason you wake up in the morning, ready for the day. It instills in you hope for the future, gently pushing you toward making your dreams become a reality. Somewhere along the lines of childhood and being caught in the teenage years, we’ve lost the beauty in dreaming big. We’ve been fed the lies of society our whole life, telling us that we’ll never be able to reach our goals. You may be afraid to dream big for fear that you won’t be able to achieve your goal, but God’s plan for our life is far better than what we could ever imagine. God has a plan for each and every one of our lives; He will fulfill your dreams and desires if they are in accordance with His plan, and that starts by seeking Him first.


Big or small, God has a plan for your life. As simple as that statement may sound, it is the absolute truth. Jeremiah 29:11 says “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” This verse is telling us that God is in control of our life plan. There is no need to fret about the future because Christ already has it under control.  He knows the past, present, and future events of our lives. This should be a comfort to Christians because of the hope that it gives us. We may not always know whether the outcome of our current situation will be good or bad, but we can rely on Christ and trust that His plan is the best there is and ever will be.


“Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” This passage is found in Psalm 37:4. This does not mean that we can pray for our dreams to come true and expect them to just happen in a split second. Romans 12:12 says “Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.” We must be patient with the Lord’s timing, which sometimes is the hardest thing to do. This does not mean we have to sit around on the couch all day and wait, but instead be active in prayer, and pursue a personal relationship with Christ.


If you want to succeed in whatever you do in life, seek Christ first. Matthew 6:33 says “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Our dreams should be focused on giving Him all the glory, not promoting ourselves. This can be difficult, especially when His plans turn out to be different than ours. Even if we do not understand our circumstances now, all things work to His glory. Proverbs 16:3 says “Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.” By handing our dreams over to the Lord, we are lifting a huge weight off of our shoulders and giving Him control.


Whether you believe it or not, God has a plan for your life, He will fulfill the desires and dreams of your heart, and this all happens through seeking Him above all else. God can take your dreams and turn them to reality. Literally. He can take them farther than you could ever imagine, and create so much beauty out of brokenness. We are not perfect; no one is, except for Christ alone. Isaiah 41:10 says “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” This verse is such a comfort, because it let’s us know that God is on our side and He will help us get through whatever we are facing. Philippians 4:11-13 says “ Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” In conclusion, God will always be with us no matter what. He’s been there from the very start; He won’t give up on you.