We Call Ourselves Christians... | Teen Ink

We Call Ourselves Christians...

By Paige Nikles SILVER, Lone Oak,, Texas
Paige Nikles SILVER, Lone Oak,, Texas

We call ourselves Christians. C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N-S. Why is it that so many times we don't represent this name correctly?
We call ourselves Christians, yet we gossip about our neighbors. You are in the cafeteria when your friend mentions that a girl looks likes she has gained a few pounds. She MUST be pregnant, now let's go tell the whole school. Within a matter of minutes the poor girl's boyfriend breaks up with her, accusing her of being unfaithful.
We call ourselves Christians, yet we are quick to judge. A friend is telling us of a weekend get away she is planning with her boyfriend. We are quick to snap at her, informing her that it is not prudent for her and her boyfriend to be alone together in a hotel room. She was going to ask us if we would like to come along with them so that it would not look bad, but because of our attitude she just tosses her head and walks away.
We call ourselves Christians, yet we don't take the time to listen. A child tries to tell his mother that he is being bullied at school. She shushes him and sends him to his room; she was in the middle of painting her nails and doesn't wish to be disturbed.
We call ourselves Christians, yet everything is about ourselves. We think, "What can I get out of this?" not "Can I spread God's love to someone by doing this?"
We call ourselves Christians, yet we think impure thoughts about our neighbor. That person is a child of God, and even thinking this about them is considered adultery in God's eyes.
When someone thinks of a Christian, they think of someone who is pure. Nobody is perfect, but being a Christian we should try to be as Christlike as possible. It is in our name! CHRISTian.
If we are out cheating on our spouse, drinking ourselves to a stupor, spreading gossip that destroys a person's reputation, and are judging others, we are giving people the wrong impression of Christ.
And we call ourselves Christians...

There are many people out there who want to go to church, want to pursue a relationship with Christ, but so-called Christians push them away from the church. This frustrates me, and I wanted to write about it.