Silent Sunday | Teen Ink

Silent Sunday

By AALetta PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
AALetta PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts

"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

Primarily every Sunday since summer 2009, David Archuleta has went Twitter-less. Not tweeting and staying off of the internet because Sunday is considered a day of rest. Now, this isn’t written to make fun of David or offend his religious beliefs, but to praise him.

Back in 2009, when David first got his Twitter, it was obvious that he was a little obsessed, tweeting about anything and everything. When a Sunday came along and there was silence in the Twitterverse, fans became concerned.

Eventually, when numerous Sundays went by and David didn’t tweet, everyone just accepted that he wasn’t tweeting on Sundays anymore. When finally confronted about it, David said that he decided to take off Sundays from tweeting, as it was a sacred day of worship, for rest and relaxation.

Tagged as “Silent Sunday”, fans accepted David’s decision, and more importantly, respecting it. He is the only celebrity I’ve seen who does not, by his own moral, tweet on Sundays, and I think in a way, it’s admirable. Knowing what a Sunday is supposed to mean, and treating it with the reverence it deserves.

There are some fans even following his influence, trying hard to gain the will power to take off Sundays as well. I for one, am one of them. At first I didn’t care in the slightest, tweeting away while David would be MIA as usual. But now that I’ve gone months without a Twitter-filled Sunday, I’ve realized the peace it can bring and the will power I’m able to gain.

In a matter of self control, now it’s become just a habit, knowing that if it’s Sunday, to stay off of Twitter and not tweet. On that day, you feel a sense of freedom, with no demands or obligations binding you to Twitter, or any of the cyber world for that matter. Then waking up Monday morning knowing that you survived the past day without much of the internet.

So cheers to David for taking on and sticking to his self-created standard, and to anyone else who has made the decision to keep your Sundays free of Twitter and the internet. In the long run, it becomes a way of keeping your priorities in check and remembering the divineness of Sunday.

Was thinking about how David does Silent Sunday and realized how admirable it really is.

on Mar. 8 2011 at 9:06 pm
HisPurePrincess ELITE, Flemington, New Jersey

What things there are to write, if only one could write them! My mind is full of gleaming thought; gay moods and mysterious, moth-like meditations hover in my imagination, fanning their painted wings. But always the rarest, those streaked with azure and the deepest crimson, flutter away beyond my reach. ~Logan Pearsall Smith

Wow, that's really interesting!  I use Facebook and on Sundays, usually to post a note of some poem I wrote and just see comments from my friends.  I've done a few breaks from it and it is really good to do that.  In fact, I was going to give it up for Lent, but it's actually one of the main ways I communicate with some people about schedules, so I kind of need to go on there somewhat regularly.  We'll see.  Anyway, I liked your article!

on Mar. 6 2011 at 8:07 pm
Paige Nikles SILVER, Lone Oak,, Texas
I agree with you on keeping it as a day of rest, except I take Saturday as my day of rest, not Sunday. It's so peaceful not to have to worry about it, a day where everything is relaxing, and being able to spend it with our Creator. Praise God!

on Feb. 26 2011 at 10:46 pm
Another great article! Love it <3