Atheism in America | Teen Ink

Atheism in America

By Ryan Williams BRONZE, Lititz, Pennsylvania
Ryan Williams BRONZE, Lititz, Pennsylvania

Having no religion is not strange. Most people don’t realize that our country was NOT based on Christianity but on religious freedom. Many of the founding fathers of our country were not Christians like Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and John Adams. Benjamin Franklin even once said, “Lighthouses are more useful than Churches.” Albert Einstein and many of today’s great minds are also either agnostic or atheist. For Christians to look down upon and discriminate against today’s atheists is ridiculous and offensive. There is no scientific proof in a God. I do not mind other peoples’ religions; just don’t try to force it down my throat. In public schools many people find it offensive that they must learn about evolution. The truth is evolution is supported by decades of scientific evidence as well as many rational, educated Christians such as the Pope. If you are going to preach your religion at least educate yourself first, look at the evidence against there ever being an earth covering flood or the evidence for man’s true origins through natural selection.

on Mar. 16 2014 at 7:32 pm
alexj56a BRONZE, Kings, North Carolina

the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting things to change

really give me some proof

WordIsTruth said...
on May. 31 2011 at 12:56 pm
Our nation was founded by the Bible. My suggestion is that you get moe information and do more research.

on Feb. 25 2011 at 1:15 pm
1ClassicLady1 SILVER, Mona, Utah

Success is not final and failure is not fatal. The courage to continue is all that matters in the end.
~Winston Churchill

So much for understanding, Ryan. You say that you don't care how people believe, but then you say how ignorant they're being. Instead of being blatantly atheist, try a religion or two without joining the church. That's is how you achieve true tolerance.

on Jan. 21 2011 at 9:16 pm
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
Also, Franklin and Jefferson wanted the United States seal to be Moses leading the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt. Franklin expressed the imagery of the seal in a 1776 letter: “Moses standing on the Shore, and extending his Hand over the Sea, thereby causing the same to overwhelm Pharaoh who is sitting in an open Chariot, a Crown on his Head and a Sword in his Hand. Rays from a Pillar of Fire in the Clouds reaching to Moses, to express that he acts by Command of the Deity.”

on Jan. 21 2011 at 9:09 pm
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

It's fine that you are an athiest, but all of the founders, including Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson were believers in God.

This country was not founded on the prospects of athiesm. It was founded on J.udeo-C.hristian values. Those values, whether you know it or not, are very likely imbeded in your value system.

Casey14123 said...
on Jan. 20 2011 at 10:23 pm
Casey14123, Boston, Massachusetts
Thank you! This makes me feel less a lone as an atheist

on Jan. 20 2011 at 10:22 am
I disagree, America (from what I know) is based upon Chirs.tian ideals. Take for example our electoral college. We took that from the time of Moses. Every tribe (12 tribes) had a respresentative, we have that in America. Our nation was founded on Chris.tianity. Take a look at our constitution, 99% is founded upon the Chris.tian belief, the first amendment is just something that they made from "scratch".

Wordgasm GOLD said...
on Jan. 19 2011 at 6:07 pm
Wordgasm GOLD, Kingfield, Maine

If it was a unicorn it would have gored you.

thank you for this :) it made my day that someone else shares my veiws