Atheism in America | Teen Ink

Atheism in America

January 14, 2011
By Ryan Williams BRONZE, Lititz, Pennsylvania
Ryan Williams BRONZE, Lititz, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Having no religion is not strange. Most people don’t realize that our country was NOT based on Christianity but on religious freedom. Many of the founding fathers of our country were not Christians like Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and John Adams. Benjamin Franklin even once said, “Lighthouses are more useful than Churches.” Albert Einstein and many of today’s great minds are also either agnostic or atheist. For Christians to look down upon and discriminate against today’s atheists is ridiculous and offensive. There is no scientific proof in a God. I do not mind other peoples’ religions; just don’t try to force it down my throat. In public schools many people find it offensive that they must learn about evolution. The truth is evolution is supported by decades of scientific evidence as well as many rational, educated Christians such as the Pope. If you are going to preach your religion at least educate yourself first, look at the evidence against there ever being an earth covering flood or the evidence for man’s true origins through natural selection.