Happiness Beats God. | Teen Ink

Happiness Beats God.

February 22, 2010
By Princeling BRONZE, Kent, Other
Princeling BRONZE, Kent, Other
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure."


The Oxford dictionary is wrong: atheism is not the belief that God does not exist; it is the lack of belief in God. For me I am an atheist the same way I am an a-fairyist and an a-Santa-Clausist. I shouldn’t even have to say it. The fact that I do have to tell people at all is strange. I’m the one with the non-belief, why is it always me who has to explain myself to your belief?

You don’t have to understand it. You could think I’m wrong, though 95 percent of the time the arguments Christians present me with are erroneous and show a complete lack of understanding about evolution, the big bang theory, or even religion itself. (And trying to argue creationism makes me barf a little in my mouth, to be honest.) But here’s the big question: why are you arguing with me at all? I’m atheist. Big whoopdeedoo. I’m not going around bashing Christianity (unless one is chiefly talking about Church corruption and not belief), and I don’t even try to argue my side unless you intentionally provoke me with a nonsensical debate I can’t help debunking. I respect your belief, so why can’t you respect my non-belief? Please. Don’t pray for me. Don’t ‘understand’ me and then condescendingly tell me I’m going to hell, which I don’t believe in either.

For me, religion, or even the lack of religion, is not a big deal. I can survive. I can be moral. I can be happy, and yes, I can be fulfilled. If you need God, if you believe in Jesus – by all means, go ahead. I’m not stopping you, nor am I trying to stop you. But the patronising way many Christians regard atheists is unbearable. If you’re not one of them, I love you. Think I’m wrong all you like. Just don’t say it to my face and don’t try to convert me. I can be your neighbour, I can help you, I can love you without believing in what is for me a fairytale. (And, quite frankly, if you believe I’m an ignorant fool who doesn’t know anything about religion, then I am atheist all the more. How can I believe in something without understanding it? I don’t understand it and couldn’t understand it anymore than you can understand why I’m atheist. Besides, more than likely you hardly understand anything about it either, and was just brought up to believe. Which is fine, just don’t try to preach your ignorance at me in a condescending way, it kills me.)

I am not confused. It is true, I cannot prove to you God does not exist anymore than you can prove to me he does. You can try, if you like. But you won’t succeed anymore than I would in doing the opposite. Hell, (By Jove, cheesy pun intended!) it doesn’t even matter to me if God really, really, really exists or not. I have never felt a higher divine being somewhere up there. I have never felt I needed someone to talk to, to rely on, to believe in. I have never needed God, and I never will. I always felt stupid when my mother told me to pray, because I never truly believed anyone was listening. My logic tells me I couldn’t believe in God even if I wanted to. As for what created the universe, there are many theories, but I don’t care. I’m just trying to live. Without God.

Why? Because all that is necessary for me is my self-belief. I work hard and trust in my own abilities. I don’t need help from God, and I get myself through hard times by relying on myself, my family and my friends, all of whom are 100 percent real, tangible people. I create my own future, and my own past. I set myself my own challenges, or life does. And I get through it because I’m strong. Sometimes it is lonely. Sometimes it is hard. This is life, people. Life is not easy, but I am determined to make something of it with my own hands, because it is precious and only comes once. What more, I make my own accountability. I suffer the consequences of what I do, but it’s alright because everything is my own choice, my own decision. I do all this without the need to believe. For me, God is not truth. Happiness is. I can be happy without God, and that is true.

If you need to, if you want to, if you were brought up to believe, if you were converted: then believe. It is your choice. Just like atheism is mine, though to be honest it is more a natural state of mind than a conscious choice. Don’t hate me for it; it won’t do you any favours in the literal or divine sense. Why be so defensive if you ‘know’ you’re right? Class me as a loony bin, I’m a pretty happy one, thanks. I prefer to spend my life enjoying the physical, tangible world we call life than chasing phantoms neither you nor I can prove is real. Even inexhaustible philosophical questions like “Who am I” are more interesting to me than the question of God. At least I know that the metaphysical human identity exists for sure, whatever it is.

Life is beautiful, and so is love. This is something everyone can agree on and believe in. Life is sometimes simpler than you think. Instead of the pursuit of God, I choose to make my path the pursuit of happiness. This is what I believe.


The author's comments:
The ignorance and bigotry on this website frustrated and then inspired me.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 97 comments.


HRC said...
on May. 27 2020 at 11:56 am
HRC, Lexington, Massachusetts
0 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
--C. S. Lewis

I apologize, but the Oxford definition of "atheism" is correct. You are an agnostic. And I would rather give up superficial happiness in order to attain soul-filling joy.

houston SILVER said...
on Dec. 22 2014 at 6:15 am
houston SILVER, Joburg, Other
6 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't know about life, there is too much to it...

I loved how truthful you were, and didn't give a care about what you said, i am a agnostic and i'm definitely confused at this minute, about God and all... one thing is that i also feel angry at Him, my own reasons... but sometimes i feel like if i don't believe in God, something bad will happen... i loved it! :)

on Oct. 26 2013 at 12:02 am
Pargaran SILVER, New Glasgow, Other
6 articles 3 photos 123 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

One thing I wanted to point out: how can you say you're not going around bashing Christianity when you just said creationism makes you 'barf a little in your mouth'? That's not exactly respectful. I'm not gonna say that evolution makes me want to throw up just because I don't believe it.

on Nov. 2 2012 at 4:19 pm
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

I think the problem most Atheists have with "I'll pray for you", is that even though it's supposed to come off as caring, it still implies that you find something WRONG about the Atheist, and that they need to be somehow fixed. So, I guess it's like killing them with kindness, in a way.

on Nov. 2 2012 at 4:16 pm
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Be kind!?! YOU DON'T SAY! Why, I had no IDEA that all Christians were perfect little angels that were never condescending or rude or downright persecutive towards atheists like the author of this article!!! Just because you're kind towards Atheists, that doesn't mean that all Christians are like you. And just like any person who is pushed to the limit, this person most likely has just had enough with all the crap they've had to put up with because of their beliefs. Telling them to "be kind" would be like telling a Black man down South during the 1950's to "be kind" to Jim Crow.

on Nov. 2 2012 at 4:09 pm
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Sorry for butting in like this, but I assume Genya knows Love is real for the exact same reason you know it's real. It's a feeling which seeps throughout your whole being, and regardless of whether it comes from God or not makes absolutely no difference when it comes to Love's potency or power. Am I right, Genya, or was that making assumptions?

on Sep. 12 2012 at 12:27 am
StarryRoss GOLD, Albuquerque, New Mexico
19 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Writing is the socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." -E.L. Doctorow

I'm Catholic, so obviously i sort of disagree, but i must say, you're the first atheist on this site that I have respect for. You have valid points, stated in a matter-of-fact, logical way and THANK GOD (or happiness, haha) you can spell and you sound very smart writing this, sorry to say, other atheist writers (you should take notes on this dude). I also think creationism is... funny :) As much as we can't understand it, let's try to see another view and at least give it respect.

on Jul. 15 2012 at 9:23 am
Nice article. I don't agree with it, but its still a nice article. One point: How do you know love is real?

on Jul. 7 2012 at 1:44 am
NicholasJ.M. BRONZE, Clark, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments
it was a good read. Well written and good points too.

on Mar. 27 2012 at 9:39 pm
VandalSpirit DIAMOND, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
51 articles 9 photos 185 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of Gods great love, we are not consumed. His compassion never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

Even the people who were against this new religion (the Jews, Pharisees, and High Priests) wrote the same accounts and confirmed the claims of the disciples.

on Mar. 27 2012 at 8:16 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
1 article 0 photos 26 comments
Personally, I have tried to find the happiness that many people find in God, but I am unable. And I have still felt plenty of true, real happiness and love from myself and others. I have done this without reading the Bible, going to church, or fully believing in God. I have experienced firsthand how us humans are not just atoms and nerves and muscles; that we are complex and loving souls, with or without God. CollinF, how do you explain that?

on Mar. 27 2012 at 8:04 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
1 article 0 photos 26 comments
Stargirl - I think that if you find happiness in God to some extent, that's great. But I also think that that happiness is meaningless if you can't also find happiness within yourself and from the humans around you.

on Mar. 27 2012 at 8:00 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
1 article 0 photos 26 comments
How do you know that the "eye-witnesses" who wrote the New Testament weren't making everything up? Do you really believe that every detail in the Bible is true?

on Feb. 26 2012 at 9:45 pm
bookthief PLATINUM, Concord, Massachusetts
20 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." -- John W. Gardener

I'm an atheist, but I believe that there's a whole lot more to love than chemical interaction. Just because I don't believe in a god doesn't mean that I structure my entire life around science.

CollinF BRONZE said...
on Jan. 28 2012 at 12:08 am
CollinF BRONZE, Concord, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If man were made simply to be happy, he would not have been made to die. "

God isn't just the greatest happiness in the universe; He's the ONLY happiness. Without Him, we're simply p.iles of a.toms that may experience certain chemical reactions in their brains that make them feel p.ositive, yet they really have no reason to be "happy." Without God, there is no meaning: without meaning, there can be no real happiness.

CollinF BRONZE said...
on Jan. 28 2012 at 12:07 am
CollinF BRONZE, Concord, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If man were made simply to be happy, he would not have been made to die. "

God isn't just the greatest happiness in the universe; He's the ONLY happiness. Without Him, we're simply piles of atoms that may experience certain chemical reactions in their brains that make them feel positive, yet they really have no reason to be "happy." Without God, there is not meaning: without meaning, there can be no real happiness.

CollinF BRONZE said...
on Jan. 22 2012 at 8:00 pm
CollinF BRONZE, Concord, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If man were made simply to be happy, he would not have been made to die. "

What? How is that even relevant? The entire New Testament was compiled while Christians were still being roasted alive in the Emperor's garden and fed to hungry lions in the Colosseum. And none of the gospel info was transmitted via dreams. Two were written by eye-witnesses, one by an eye-witness's secretary, and the fourth by a first century journalist who interviewed eye-witnesses. And yes, it can. That's why the NT has such early and plentiful manuscript evidence that validates its claims.

CollinF BRONZE said...
on Jan. 22 2012 at 4:20 pm
CollinF BRONZE, Concord, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If man were made simply to be happy, he would not have been made to die. "

Your description of love was absolutely beautif . . . . wait a sec, that's just chemical reactions within my brain telling me that due to inevitable by-products of evolution. You see, we Christians don't deny that love can be broken down into a scientific concept: we argue that that's not ALL that it is. If that's all that it is, then it has no value, because life itself has no value. Love is no more beautiful than gutting your best friend's baby. It's all just . . . there.

CollinF BRONZE said...
on Jan. 22 2012 at 4:19 pm
CollinF BRONZE, Concord, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If man were made simply to be happy, he would not have been made to die. "

Your description of love was absolutely beautif . . . . wait a sec, that's just chemical reactions within my brain telling me that due to inevitable by-products of evolution. You see, we Christians don't deny that love can be broken down into a scientific concept: we argue that that's not ALL that it is. If that's all that it is, then it has no value, because life itself has no value. Love is no more beautiful than gutting your best friend's baby. It's all just . . . there.

Genya GOLD said...
on Jan. 22 2012 at 4:18 pm
Genya GOLD, Bridgewater, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics."-Unknown Author

I doubt that, only because "history is written by the victors" so it's probably more biased than your average history text book. And some of the information I think only came from dreams. And, human error can get in the way of anything, even the divine.