How I found Wicca | Teen Ink

How I found Wicca

November 6, 2009
By JasmineHodges SILVER, Texarkana, Arkansas
JasmineHodges SILVER, Texarkana, Arkansas
6 articles 0 photos 17 comments

I found Wicca when I was in the sixth grade. Ever since I was little I liked to watch anything that had witches or magic in it. I thought it was the most amazing thing in the world. I also read anything I could get on the subject with witchcraft and magic. I had a false sense of what Wicca was and I didn’t even know it was a actual religion until I read The Circle of Three series by Isobel Bird it amazed and shocked me that Wicca could be real. So sadly to say I started to search for spells on the internet. I thought spells could make me beautiful. I thought I could cast a spell like on Charmed or Sabrina the Teenage Witch and get what I wanted almost instantly. Good looks, better grades, someone to date, and to punish my enemies. I bet your shaking your head after reading that. Well I’m ashamed for even thinking that. I also was listening to what my family said at the time and they told me that Witchcraft was evil and those people worshipped the devil. So I listened to them and I continued to look up spells. My parents eventually found out what I was doing and told me I was praying to the Devil. The only reason I was Christian was throughout my life I was thought that if you weren’t Christian than you would forever be tormented in Hell with the Devil. So I was hesitant about looking up spells but I thought spells could make me a better person and I could make it up to Jesus later for praying to the Devil for just a little help. I wasn’t selling my soul to the devil I thought. So I checked out books about Wicca and every time my parents would catch me I told them I understood and would stop checking them out. For some reason even though I thought Wicca was evil at the time I couldn’t stop thinking about it and wanting to learn more. After a while I started to doubt my faith in Jesus and the Bible the more I listened to people talk about Christianity the more it felt wrong to me. I didn’t believe that people who weren’t Christian would automatically go to Hell. It just didn’t make sense to me. Also in sixth grade I started to doubt my sexuality. That scared me I thought I would go to Hell for sure. I hated myself for wanting to more about Wicca and I hated myself even more for doubting the religion my parents thought me. I just wanted to go to Heaven but in the back of my mind I still doubted the existence of a Hell let alone a Heaven. I felt that soon or later Jesus was going to punish me for my so called sins. I dint really have anyone to talk to about this. I felt dirty and sinful so I told no one. I checked out various books about Wicca from books about Herbs to books by Silver Raven wolf. I checked them out but rarely ever read them. I was just to scared to. I thought by doing so I was opening myself to the devil. This wasn’t just spells anymore it was the religion to hell. I read bits and pieces from the book but everything I read was proof of Wicca’s evil ways. It wasn’t until 8th grade that I read as much basic information about Wicca that I can from different websites I learned about the Wiccan Rede, The Lord and Lady, the Wiccan wheel of the year, The Threefold Law, and that’s the year I found Witchvox. I read so many essays from Teens that it made me feel like I wasn’t alone. Once I learned the basics of Wicca it felt right to me. I felt at peace. I realized that Wicca wasn’t evil and that it was meant for me to learn more about it. My parents wouldn’t allow that to happen. They told me that I had to go to Church that I was wrong and evil. My older sister even told me that I was going to go to Hell. I told them about Wicca and I told them what it wasn’t I tried telling her that in Wicca the didn’t believe in the Devil and that once you died that you would go to Summerland. Obviously they didn’t want to listen to me, they banned me from the computer and took away The circle of Three Series I checked out from the library. So I gave up Wicca again for a year. Yet during that year I kept thinking constantly about Wicca. I felt lost without it. Eventually I stopped thinking so much about it and I stopped trying to bring it up to my parents. After a while a person gets tired hearing that I was going to Hell and that I was evil and sinful and rebellious. I was tired of hearing that added to the problem that I came out as a Lesbian to them and was refusing to date males. I thought that I had it figured out but I was still so confused I wanted someone to help me learn more. I than decided to join social networks and chat groups for Wiccans. By doing this it made me feel less alone. Than in my ninth grade year my parents decided it would be a good idea to move from Chicago to Texarkana,AR. My older sister Brittany had graduated high school and was in college. So me and my siblings moved to the Bible Belt. Churches was everywhere and I was forced to attend the church and I hated every minute I was there. It seemed like the preacher was pointing out everyone’s flaw and what would be a sure way to Hell. I didn’t like the messages I heard. As I went though High School I tried to fit in by hiding my interest and being or trying to make my parents happy. There was a turning point in my life which I wont talk about in this essay but it made me realized that I wanted to follow the Wiccan path. Now I’ m a Senior in High school and I am trying to graduate. My parents’ and family still don’t accept my faith and wont let me practice it so I have to practice in secret. My parents said I can read about Wicca but not practice it but I will do both. I know Wicca is right form me. I have started a Book of Shadows and I am also going to buy a pentacle necklace on Tuesday. I am proud of being a Wiccan in training and I try to be polite and answer any questions people have when they ask me about my Faith. I will continue to try and learn more about my craft. Well I also would want to figure out my sexuality as well. I consider myself a Gothic Witch but I wont write to much about this, that will be for another essay. I hope this all makes sense of how I found Wicca.


The author's comments:
I am happy I found Wicca.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 79 comments.


on Mar. 14 2011 at 9:01 am
XxKittyxX BRONZE, Lee&#39s Summit, Missouri
2 articles 2 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your only as tall as your heart will let you be. But, your only as small as the world will make you seem".

Wow i love this.I am a Wiccan and I currently started studying it in 7th grade.I'm now 2 months away from highschool but I know that Wicca is the right religion for me.It makes me happy and I feel so much love and joy from it.

Mayim12 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 5 2011 at 6:55 pm
Mayim12 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
4 articles 0 photos 40 comments
Great article! I went throught a similar journey through Wicca. Long live witchcraft!

on Feb. 25 2011 at 12:00 am
PennyM.L SILVER, Lynwood, California
7 articles 0 photos 53 comments
you can get herbs at the grocery store, thats where i get mine. try a botanica, they have some useful stuff there. and for your  book of shadows check out "The Teen Book of Shadows" by patricia telesco.

Wordgasm GOLD said...
on Jan. 3 2011 at 7:30 am
Wordgasm GOLD, Kingfield, Maine
12 articles 0 photos 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
If it was a unicorn it would have gored you.

Omfg, thank you Anna!! This is exactly how I explain it to other people, and was just about to get in on this convo when i read your comment. I just recently wrote a blog post about this. It's a tough concept for people to grasp for some reason.

deathward22 said...
on Dec. 22 2010 at 12:51 am
deathward22, Los Alamos, New Mexico
0 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." mark twain

beautiful piece, and i'm glad to see more people looking into Wicca

on Dec. 19 2010 at 11:26 am
WritingAngel20 BRONZE, Ardmore, Alabama
3 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In order to suceed, your desire for success must be greater than your fear of failure" -Bill Cosby

This is good, I'm interested in that stuff to but was afraid to try

 


Wiccan_Liz said...
on Nov. 7 2010 at 12:30 am

Don't worry you are not alone :) I am a young wiccan in highschool too. My parents wont let me practice wicca, so I also practice in secret, and I have been for the past three years. Every full moon I have a full moon ritual, and every holiday of the wiccan wheel I cast a circle. Along with all of this, I light candles everyday to thank the Goddess and God. The only one that accepts me is my boyfriend, and that is about it. One little tip...keep a book of your personal spells, because those alone will be your unique spells...therefore a lot stronger.

Blessed Be )O( Merry ye meet, merry ye part


on Oct. 14 2010 at 10:28 am
lika_magpie.aka.radioactive83, Maysville, Missouri
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
i agree with J.Rae. it would be good for this knowledge to be public.

on Aug. 31 2010 at 6:33 am
Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado
14 articles 0 photos 279 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

Being a Wiccan myself, I completely agree with your opinion, but your article needs work.

It is very poorly organized. Instead of one big, confusing block of words, you should try smaller paragraphs that really put your story in order. Nothing against you, just trying to help.


J. Rae said...
on Aug. 14 2010 at 12:27 pm
I am a Christian, but think that all of that evil and going to hell stuff is really misused. You should write an article that explains Wicca and tell ysus about it. It seems really interesting!

J. Rae said...
on Aug. 14 2010 at 12:22 pm
Omg! Anna, I am so happy that some one agrees with me! The disco ball metaphore was perfect!

on Jul. 29 2010 at 7:45 am
dirinity SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina
9 articles 0 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Certain things catch your eye,
But pursue only those
that capture your heart.
"

My Gods are evil? Wow, Im sorry? I wasn't aware my gods are pro violence as long as they benefit. Seriously, Goddess, you should have told me>.>

*eye roll* people are so ignorant.


Anna said...
on Jul. 6 2010 at 12:52 pm

You are all arguing for nothing really. Everyone is entiteld to their own opinions, and that is a right we all should use.

You are all speaking of your god and your gods, just a lot of your. Have any of you ever stopped to think that this may be all the same? That the Christian God and the Wiccan God and Goddess is the same? Look at it from a discoball perspective. A discoball has many faces, many sides, and we all se the discoball differently depending on which side we're on. But it is still the same discoball. Someone may like one or two sides of the discoball more and decides to see them instead of the whole. This is okay because it's a part of the ball in any case. Some may choose to see the whole ball instead.

We all see the ball differently and we may identify with different sides of it but it is still the same.

Theirfore it's completly useless to argue of who has the right and most loving god. It's like kids arguing of who has the best toys. See beyond that and see the whole, and theirfor develop yourself as a person and soul.

One here said that he/she doesn't believe in magick. But instead he/she prayed. But no one has brought up what magick really is. Love, a first kiss, a baby's first laugh, nature at it's finest. Magick is in all of these things and more. It is in everything.

A sentence often connected when magick is discussed is "Magick is the art and science of creating positive change in your life."

When you would cast a magickal spell you would use energy and your intention. When you pray you are in a way making magick without even thinking of it. You send out your intention to the universe (in this case God) and also without being awere of it you may actually raise energy to send it out. Eureka! You cast a spell! And you didn't even know it!

Magick is about life, love, God, Goddess, happiness and so much more.

So there may not be any use in arguing about it. Understand each other instead and see the things you where you are similar instead of different. Because it is a lot more then you thing.

With love,

Anna

(Sorry about incorrect spelling, I'm not english or american in origin).


on Jun. 12 2010 at 9:41 pm

angelgal07 and corinthians, i was raised christian, and when one of my parents wouldn't take anything at all just to love me for who i was, when i prayed for him too, he never did.

last year on the fourth of july i met the most wonderful beautiful girl, with the most amazing personality in my life.

when i prayed to the christian god for almost a year, those alleged prayers that can move mountains didn't help me to see her again when i lost her phone number. dropped my phone with the only copy of my connection to her in water!

a few weeks ago after about several months of being wiccan, i have gotten everything i have asked for. to other wiccans this shows i am a good person in my beliefs, YOU only get WHAT YOU DESERVE from waht YOU brought upon YOURSELF.

i made a single prayer for somone who did love me for who i was, and i had my heart broken by every girl i had ever met, and i said if my parent couldn't give me that send me somone who could, and i added "and id like to see that girl that made me feel so safe and secure again, pretty please, so mote it be"

I had no idea the next day she would walk into my current workplace, and i would get her number, and text her, and by the end of the day, this girl whom id been crushing on for so long, would actually have came and saw me the next day, much less DATE me!

i would take wicca over a religion that constitutes constant PESTERING of me and my friends who ARENT christian, i know plenty of good christians like the christians who commented who support the author, but why are you sitting here taking the time to use this page to preach hate and try and convert *wether you know it or not you are subliminally and clearly attempting to use the im saving you card on somone who is already upset about the dissaproval of an awesume religion that needs freedom from such* you are taking the time to abuse that to try and prove your religion is better, preaching psalms to me will get me smiling and giggling, and i will respect your beliefs, because that's what my gods teach


BlackKat said...
on May. 28 2010 at 2:12 pm
interviews with wiccans who are NOT evil.. http://www.longislandpress.com/2010/05/27/wicca-witchcraft-and-wizardry-on-long-island/

on May. 14 2010 at 10:43 am
CoNfUsEd_InSaNiTy BRONZE, Jackson, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything happens for a reason."
-Constance M. Burge (Charmed)

I'm sorry but i believe what i believe. and what you believe is what you believe. so deal with it. you can't "save" us if we don't want to be saved.

brie13 GOLD said...
on May. 12 2010 at 6:31 pm
brie13 GOLD, Sparks, Nevada
11 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
What is the meaning of life? -- To live ( Mr.Swigart- Bio Teacher)

thanks ! its nice to someone agrees with me

 


on May. 12 2010 at 5:17 pm
AngelGal07 GOLD, Ferndale, Washington
11 articles 4 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you do not love God then you do not know God for God is love" 1 John 4:8

i agree with you 1corinthians!

on Apr. 21 2010 at 1:14 pm
Silevryn BRONZE, Osceola, Missouri
3 articles 51 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The world hasn't become more violent, it's become more televised"

I am a pagan who also lives in the bible belt. I know how you feel, and im glad you overcame the problems that were keeping for from being yourself.

And something to tell those who claim you worship the devil: Saying a wiccan worships the devil is like accusing an anthiest of worshiping god.


brie13 GOLD said...
on Apr. 14 2010 at 1:03 pm
brie13 GOLD, Sparks, Nevada
11 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
What is the meaning of life? -- To live ( Mr.Swigart- Bio Teacher)

but it doesn't matter. think about life after death. liuving a life for god changes your life . i don't want anyone to go to hell. God created you and you are so precious to him. John3:16 for god so loved the world that he gave his only son so that whoever believes iin him shall not perish but have eternal life.that's great news. that shows god truly cares for us. THe world is filled with so much sin but still god cares for us. A lot of poeple would die for a great man but Jesus mhen he was perfect died a sinner's death so you can go to heaven. HE LOVES YOU EVEN THROUGH ALL THE STUFF YOU"VE DONE that's why it matters