The Success, yet Controversy of GMO. | Teen Ink

The Success, yet Controversy of GMO.

By sophiajth BRONZE, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
sophiajth BRONZE, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

GMO, also known as genetically modified organisms, is on the verge of a scientific revolution. With the data and experiments they’ve conducted overtime, scientists have been able to create a variety of crops and even a sheep named Dolly from only using the stem cells and DNA from bone marrow. The human mind has once again proved we are capable of many things, and because of that we could also bring back an extinct species. But with the controversy of offending the Christian and Catholic religions, scientists are being put one step back. Despite this, scientists should be able to continue these experiments without worrying about the practices of these religions so that they can bring back forgotten animals that were once here.

People who share the same beliefs under these two religions have all agreed that only God can only create for us. They’ve said that these scientists should not and cannot “play God”. With more than 2.5 billion individuals who are faithful to the religions, this would greatly impact the scientists being able to still undergo their work. Adding on to this, it would be hard to disregard the needs of this extensive theology that is considered the most important teachings in the US. Christianity and Catholicism have been mentioned in the Pledge of Allegiance, Star Spangled Banner, taking under oath with the words “So help me God”, and even in almost every presidential speech. It has been so normalized to follow the rules of the bible and to say God’s name in this nation, that you could easily offend his followers. However, it doesn’t mean anyone should be forced to think the same. There are billions of others who believe in other practices or who may not even believe in God. So why should these scientists be stopped from accomplishing the impossible? Just because the bible says not to, doesn’t mean it applies to everyone. People have learned to respect others' way of thinking and religions, so why can they not do the same too? Scientists are not meaning to offend anyone, but they have the greatest opportunity that should not be overlooked.

In line matter, I myself am catholic. Catholics care for God’s creations. What he has done for our world and society. What he has done by his hands. Alternatively, I still believe that he has given us humans this ability to help the world itself. As contentious this may sound, if he didn’t want us to do what these scientists were doing, then why would he grant us this control in the beginning? We people have this competency for a reason. It just matters how we use it. Though in this manner, our reasoning for genetically modified organisms is only for good. To help with our fellow animal community and the number of foods we have.

Moreover, what humans have once destroyed, can now be fixed. Stem cells are the body's raw materials, cells from which all other cells with specialized functions are generated. Under the right conditions in the body or a laboratory, stem cells divide to form more cells called daughter cells. They can be taken or isolated from bone marrows, the blood from the umbilical cord, and from a person’s circulating blood. Along with this, stem cells could bring back the wooly mammoth, the saber-toothed tiger, neanderthal humans, dinosaurs, and more! Not only were scientists able to figure out how to recreate organisms, but they were able to do it too. Their first almost successful test was Dolly the Sheep. Dolly was cloned from an adult Finn Dorset ewe's mammary gland cell. Wilmut and his team at Roslin developed her by fusing a mammary cell with an unfertilized egg cell whose nucleus had been removed using electrical pulses. However, in the end, Dolly was put to sleep on February 14, 2003, due to a progressive lung illness and chronic arthritis. Some speculated in the press that Dolly's death was caused by the fact that she was born with a genetic age of six years, the same age as the sheep from which she was cloned. Though with Dolly as living proof, she demonstrated that we can bring back extinct species.

Switching back to the topic of religions, Jews, Muslims, and Protestants have agreed and approved of what these scientists are doing. One viewpoint stresses that mankind was founded in God's image, which implies that mankind will "partner with God in the perfection of everything in the world," and thus Jewish law recognizes genetic engineering to save and extend human life, as well as to improve the quality or quantity of the world's food supply. Furthermore, there was a poll based on whether or not GMO should be allowed. When asked whether man has been empowered by God to use science to improve life or if man is "playing God," the majority of those interviewed believed man has been empowered by God to improve life. Jews and Muslims were the most enthusiastic supporters of the assertion on empowerment. 62% Jews, 61% Muslims, and 54% Protestants have all agreed respectfully. People can go on and on about what the bible says or what is right and wrong in God’s eyes, but at some point they should start seeing what we are now in control of, and the power we hold. What these scientists can do should be acknowledged for this astonishing discovery. 

However, I still understand the concerns of genetically modified food harming the human body and the experiments offending millions of other people’s practices. But that doesn’t mean we can learn from these failed trials, and continue to retry until we get it right. If people were able to move on and put their religion to the side, GMO could open up a whole new perspective to them. These scientists are trying to improve within every trial, but they cannot move further until their studies are approved from everyone else. We are only an inch away from something truly inspiring and astounding. The face of science is now able to bring back these buried extinctions, just from starting out on how to create an apple. In addition, there is a very small chance that there would be bacteria that you would indigest from these modified foods. You would have a higher chance of getting salmonella from cookie dough than being food poisoned from this. It is said that there are 420 deaths each year due to salmonella, meanwhile there have been 0 deaths recorded from eating these modified foods. If this was truly a concern, it is just a minor worry in reality. Which is why people who are serious about their beliefs should reconsider what the future could be and what we are capable of now.

Overall, the topic arguing why religions should not oppose genetic modified organisms can be impenetrable. There will always be arguments on the words of God, but that shouldn’t be the only reason why we should not pursue this. Viewing GMO as a groundbreaking finding, we could redo what mankind has demolished. The greatest animals to once walk the Earth who were then hunted down to extinction, can be brought back into existence. Think about it. Think about all the animals that could now flourish, helping their broken habitats and ecosystems. Think about what was once gone, is now here to come.