A Good Leader Starts with a Good Dream | Teen Ink

A Good Leader Starts with a Good Dream

By messybutkind SILVER, Sacramento, California
messybutkind SILVER, Sacramento, California

"Lean not on your own understandings"

Many people have many dreams. When you ask a person about their dream, most will respond with something radical, it either seems impossible or it’s either a dream that can take up years to complete. There’s dreams of going to college, having a career, owning a business, or getting to travel around the world. Not that I don’t share similar dreams like that but out of all the dreams I could’ve chosen; my dream is not something you can master but it is something you can continue to get better at. That would be leadership. To some, leadership sounds intimidating and to the rest, it’s an opportunity to challenge this intimidation. My dream is to become a better leader. I was introduced to leadership last year at E2 Curch with very little experience, and I can say that I have developed a few leadership skills since the past year, however, there is still much I want to be better at and I want to become better at confrontation, being sure of my authoritative decisions and being a lot more confident when it comes to giving a small teaching or instructions to my team. I just do not want to be the same leader I was last year.

Granted, it’s not going to be easy. So, in order to accomplish this dream, I am going to need a lot of accountability from my director, my coordinator and other fellow leaders who sit at the leadership table with me. As well as receiving feedback on what I did good and on what I could get better at from my teammates, other teams and other team leaders under different groups. I will need to trust my director and more than ever, this is a huge step because trusting someone can be like walking on a tightrope blindfolded but understanding that they know what they’re doing. To become a better leader, I will learn to become even more uncomfortable and if there is one thing I have learned from my director, is that she is perfect for placing you in uncomfortable situations. And I am fine with that, as long as I get something good out of it.

As much as I will need accountability, I will also need encouragement as well as empowerment from the same leaders that lead besides me. I can find this help at my E2 Church under the Guest Experience community. I too, will accept any other offered help I can find. I will set a vision for my team to know where I want to lead my team, set a goal or task for them every week to challenge them. This will help me with communicating with my team and it is a way where they can reach out and come to me with any comments or questions. Setting up one on ones will help too. I can work out a one on one schedule with my coordinator since she has experience in meeting up with volunteers and catching up with them.

There are so many dreams and everyone has one. My dream is not the easiest but I am not the only leader that has gone through this, challenging the intimidation. My challenge is to become a better leader than the leader I was last year, this will prove that I take my leadership seriously.

This piece of writing comes from a leader that has been leading for almost a year, now.