Choose Happiness | Teen Ink

Choose Happiness

By KByer BRONZE, Osage, Minnesota
KByer BRONZE, Osage, Minnesota

What is happiness?  According to Merriam-Webster New Collegiate Dictionary,  happiness is “a state of well-being and contentment” or “ a pleasure or satisfying experience.” To me, happiness is much more complex, it is anything that brings your feelings upward and makes you feel free. I believe happiness is hard to achieve, but everyone can experience it.

Now you can be happy for someone or be happy for yourself. Everyone needs to find something or someone they love, if you do that, you can find your happiness. 

Happiness is a choice.
Finding happiness can be hard, but if you are surrounded by people you love, or doing a job you really enjoy, you should be able to find it. Happiness is like a kid in a candy store. Happiness is also a feeling, it can be as simple as the sun shining and as emotional in finding love. A person can be happy by getting a puppy or even getting a A+ on a test you studied hard for. Another could be getting up on Christmas morning and excited to open your gifts.  It is different for everyone.

To have happiness you have to love yourself and everyone around you. Be with others who make you smile. I have amazing friends that me laugh and smile. You also have it by listening to your heart, to do that focus on what’s best for you and not others. With me I do what I want not what other people want me to do. You can do it.

I find my most happiness in spending time with family. I went on a vacation in Denver, Colorado in 2015, and my brother and I enjoyed messing with each other on the trip. We went white water rafting and all of us were laughing and having a good time. We went out to eat the same night. All of us talking away about anything. Being there and looking at my Mom, Dad and brother just brought me happiness. Getting to spend time with them means so much and  knowing that I have a family that cares about me makes me feel happiness.

Happiness is a path.

My mom had let me spend a day with my brother until he had to go to Kentucky for a job thing the entire summer. My brother and I parked the truck at the heartland park and got our bikes out. We biked to Nevis and back to Park Rapids that morning. We had a fun time talking and having a good brother and sister time. We decide to go to Walmart once we get done so he can get some supplies for his trip. He is sitting in his car and I’m telling how much I will miss him this summer. I didn't want him to leave. Once he drove off I wasn't sad anymore I know that this would be good for him and that I was so proud of him for doing this. It was gonna be hard  but I chose to be happy cause I knew he was happy that he was doing this, so I couldn't be sad. I would be able to see him for a little bit once he got back home and spend time with him again.

Happiness is not crying every night or feeling bad for yourself . With this meaning that sadness is the opposite of happy. Sadness is defined as “feeling sorrow or mournful” from the online Dictionary. Take your sadness and turn it into happiness even during the hardest times. Just take a look around you.

Getting to spend time with time with my boyfriend Jason just makes me feel better. He makes me laugh and smile all the time when I am around him. I get happy when I see him. On my birthday, we went out to eat at the Royal in Park Rapids and were just sitting there enjoying each other’s company. After we were done, he gave me a gift for my birthday; it meant so much coming from him cause he is special to me. I opened the gift and it was a picture of me and him, it brought me so much joy just knowing he cares for me. Now I have it on my nightstand right next to my bed and every time I look at it I feel happiness and it reminds me of that day.
We get so caught up on the word happiness we fail to see what is always around us.

Volleyball this year had some down moments but through it all, I found happiness. We were playing in the game to go to state against Roseau. They were up one set compared to us, so it was 2-1. The fourth set we needed to win to tie it up  and with the game being tight, it was so nerve racking. We ended up losing that set and my dream was crushed. After all of this happening, I still had happiness no matter the result, being able to play with so many amazing girls and having fun and making memories made me happy. That’s what I thought about when we received our medals, even though in this time of sadness I still let my happiness in. The whole experience to play volleyball brought me joy.

People may learn to be happy from other people. I learned it by myself. With all life has thrown at me and all the situations I've been put it I've figured out over the years that happiness is just one click away. I always take a good look around me every day and see all the people around me that care about me. How could I not be happy with that? One lesson I learned was I failed a math test but my best friend aced it. I was all sad and miserable and down from that and once that happened I brought her down and not making her feel happy for herself but feel bad for me. I took her happiness away and I realized I should be happy for other people even if I am not happy with myself at the moment. Don't take what has happened to you and make that person feel less of themselves.

Ralph Harslon quoted, “Happiness is a choice, not a result. Nothing will make you happy until you choose to be happy no person will make you happy unless you decide to be happy. Your happiness will not come to you. It can only come from you”

I choose happiness.