Humans Lack Smarts | Teen Ink

Humans Lack Smarts

By SammyJane GOLD, Orlando, Florida
SammyJane GOLD, Orlando, Florida

“None of us can undo what we’ve done, or relive a life already recorded. But if Professor Morris Schwartz taught me anything at all, it was this: there is no such thing as “too late” in life. He was changing until the day he said good-bye.”

-Mitch Albom

I am fully aware that I am not exempt from this. But it pisses me off when I come into contact with these moronic claims and.. Literally everything. In person, on the internet, anywhere! Sadly I’ve come across a large amount of that stupidity over the last few years. Especially on the internet. Whenever I get online and look at the stuff people are saying.. It’s so messed up that I have no words. People not only making jokes about but also insulting suicidal people. It’s infuriating. These people who are depressed and contemplating suicide that are on the internet usually are looking for help from whatever gives it. Sure it’s not the best place for them to be but sometimes you’re kind of cornered, aka: They’re kinda freaking screwed. So…. They don't need some jerk to give them a push over the edge. Don’t give them another reason to go!! These people push through everyday in pain. Emotional and sometimes physical. They push through it until they’re not only numb but they’re torturing themselves. For other people. They want to die but they haven’t yet for usually a handful of reasons. A few of which being other people. I can bet a million dollars that the people telling others to kill themselves probably wouldn’t have the strength to keep living if they were afflicted with those same circumstances as the person they told to die.

And if you don’t think that’s that bad, want to know something else… There are plenty of people who are insulting and making jokes about victims of rape, harassment and attempted homicide. So how would you feel if you were a victim of sexual assault and you’re best friend was posting things about stuff like that but putting it in a positive light? Would you feel like s***? Most people probably would. That’s a big contributor to suicides is people who have experienced some wacked up stuff, and because they can’t go to somebody about it. Have you met today’s generation? I didn’t want to open my mouth when that happened to me. If you’re asking why? Then you need to take some time to reread what I’ve typed.

Now I’m not accusing your bestie of being some emotionless piece of elephant excretion. I’m just saying that people need to use their brains. If you were to think about the things you were typing before you posted them then people like me wouldn’t be writing things like this. Please, be better than these people I’ve come across. Use your head and think.